My gold gourmai and glolite tetras

sab

just picked up a new macro lense for my camera the other night, and tested it out tonight on one of my non cichlid tanks (for once!) ! smile.gif heres some pics...

user posted image

thats "Gomez" the Gold Gourmai smile.gif (probably worthy of inclusion in the sept comp rather than my e yellow pic)

user posted image

school of glolite tetras

user posted image

glolite tetra

user posted image

glolite tetra

user posted image

the school again

cheers

steve

Hey all - cheers for the comments! I must say Im chuffed with the results too! smile.gif

Arj> the glolite tetras have been around for a while I believe. However, the term glolite was also used for that gentically modified danio that those scientists in singapore developed mad.gif

heres some info about them - pretty nice fish really and they school well too! Look better than a standard neon tetra IMHO! smile.gif

Glolite tetra

Scientific name(s): Hemigrammus erythrozonus

Max size: 4 cm

Temperament: Peaceful schooling fish

Water quality: pH around neutral, up to 7.5 and will tolerate moderately hard water

Temperature: 24 to 28°C

Origin: South America

Comments: A pretty and peaceful tetra, ideal for planted tanks. it's colour shows of best in a tank with plenty of shading from plants and blackwater extract added.

Suggested foods: A good quality tropical flake or granules, frozen shrimp and worms foods, daphnia.

Sexing: females are plumper.

cheers again

steve

Hi BBR...

cheers for the comments! smile.gif As I have said before it takes a lot pf patience to get a decent shot and many duds too!

The camera I use isn't actually a Digital SLR smile.gif , but I can add lenses to it. Its the Canon G2 (4 megapixel) - a few years old now but still more than capable of taking good shots. Canon have just released the Canon G6 which looks to be the ducks nuts! Its 7.1 MP and I would seriously consider buying/upgrading to that in the near future… or the Canon EOS300D (SLR digital) - but thats mucho more $$

I use either the optional wide angle lense or as these shots used, my new macro lens set. The trick is not to rely on the cameras auto focus, but to set your own foucs depth. Oh, use a tripod too, even when using a flash! Speaking of the flash, the Canon G2 supports an external flash connected via the hot shoe on top of the camera, which is what I used. The flash is hand held away from the camera and directed through the top glass of the tank - using an external flash the cameras flash is overrode and doesnt fire.

Use the manual setting on the camera and don't rely on everything set up as automatic, which in most instances is not the best option for a good shot! smile.gif

hope that helps!

cheers

steve

Great shots Steve,

and good camera tips. thumb.gif I find that most compact digital cameras unfortunately, don't have enough manual adjustments to give the necessary control for fish photography. You can still take great shots, but it would 5x the amount of patience. tongue.gif

I'm not familiar with Canon G series, but you sure got some nice shots out of it.

Ed

cheers Ed!

The Canon G2 when it first came out (about three years back) was about $1,900!!! ohmy.gif and probably one of the first 4MP cams within reach of the avergae consumer without going to the $8,000 digital SLRs level! Its still a great camera and as you see its manual functions and photo capabilities are awesome! This was one of the reasons I got it… that and the hotshoe for external flash! Canon have since released the G3, G5 (5MP) and now the G6. The G6 retails for a little over $1,000 I believe and reckon that is awesome value – its 7.1 MP too! Ive always had canon cameras and studied photography at uni as part of my graphic design degree all those years ago – i just love photography so its great being able to combine the love of teh cichlids and that!

Agree re the average compact digital camera is harder to take a decent shot on. The lenses and CCD just dont have the umpph or precision. My suggestion to people who are looking to buy a camera is to buy the very best you can afford and do try and stretch the budget to get into the "next category" if you are serious about taking shots.

Being a Canon guy, I'd consider the Canon G6 or the EOS300D SLR.

smile.gif

cheers

steve

Archived