Seahorses in a goldfish bowl?

anchar

Hi all,

I've just watched an episode of a popular childrens "educational" children's program (nature/enviro.) that I have usually thought was a really great little show. I was horrified to see them promote the housing of seahorses in a goldfish bowl - one that I would estimate to hold about 20 litres!!! :o

I saw something similar a while ago with regards to keeping clown fish in the same manner (thanks to the hype around 'Finding Nemo'). How many uneducated parents are buying these setups because their kids want them?!!

I jumped all over (so to speak) a work collegue of mine a while ago for telling a customer that they could keep seahorses in a 2' tank, as long as they went to the beach each day and replaced the water. By the way these people were using road gravel as a substrate. I don't work at that place anymore because of the uphill battle with ethics that constantly bombarded me ("wee wEEing in the wind", excuse the language, feeling). ;)

If the LFS's continue to condone this sort of sales/promotion/exploitation of animals, in the pursuit of a dollar, how are we ever going to educate people?

If our children are the future, how can they be held accountable for info. that they receive from "educational" shows on the TV??? :p:

merjo (sorry about the rant)

Archived