Substrate: Lime/Marble/Shell (016)

Tam

Hi brothers,

Just need some advice...

my tank is quite newly set up... so the beneficial bacterias not fully established yet..

Ammo is quite high and ph went from 7.1- 6.0 in just less than a day...

How much coral should i put into the tank ? I dont want to kill the fish by giving it a pH shock ...

Its only a 3 ft... and at the moment is about 30 degrees with only 2 fish...

Nitrite = 0

I think its because the tank was over crowded and over fed when i had over fish - plus i had a cheap filter...

Tam

If your pH has gone from 7.1 to 6.0 in 1 day then wouldn't they already have pH shock?

How is this possible? What did you do? Do you have heaps of wood in that tank? You should firstly figure out why you have had the pH drop. And fix that first. If you try to buffer the water it will more than likely drop again over time.

the higher the ph ,the more toxic ammonia becomes (fatal at 9.0) so wait until the tank is fully cycled before raising the ph , then use something like ph up over a period of days , then buffer with coral chips or shell grit -good luck

ive added prime and ammo lock... and cycle

they all say they dont change pH...

no there is no wood in the tank....

i added some peat the other day... then took it out but at that stage i measured the pH and it was 7.0!

any thanks for you advice guys

tam

Drastic pH crashes can also be caused by problems with the tank not having been cycled properly, and also a build up of solid waste/decaying matter in the tank. How deep is your gravel bed? DO you gravel vacuum regularly? Would there be alot of dead/dying plants/fish or excess food decaying? Or perhaps a massive die-off of some other organisms like snails? I know people often experience pH shock after poisoning a snail problem when the snails begin to rot in the gravel.

Archived