Catching fish

Beardie

Im attempting to take my brichardi females out of my 6x2x2 tank. After trying for over an hour, im stuck on how to get them out. They are only around 3-4cm. I have some piles of slate along the back of the tank and it cant be removed (mainly because its all glued together). Just wondering how you guys/gals catch fish?

Any help/ideas would be great!

Thanks

Hi Beardie,

If you cannot remove the slates I cannot help you much. I personally put pots in the tank that I can easily remove, they are not as nice looking as rocks, but very practical. I also use 2 nets.

In of my tank I have rocks too that are a bit harder to remove, but I have noticed taht it is 10 times quicker to remove all the rocks first and then catch the fishes, than trying to chase the fishes around rocks, or waiting for them to come out.

I also use two nets, corner them and catch them with some slow and gentle net movements.

I find that I need to take the rockwork out of the tank before catching them, but in your case, where there is extensive rock work, I would probably do a water change to lower the level of water before catching.

:p

I either use two nets or a piece of stocking in a syphon.

I just mount a 'foot piece' of a stocking or pantyhose so that it's dragged up into the tube while the water is flowing. Works reasonably well but it's only for hard-case catches. And a water change while I'm at it. :D

Lots of luck!!

Cheers - OziOscar.

mate this should work for you.

Dont feed the fish for 3-4 days so they are nice and hungry. Then get a normal 3 litre coke bottle. Empty it and cut the end of and shuve the top into the the body. Hard to explain. You could simply leave the thing as is it would probably work. Put some flake/pellets in there (live food works the best). leave it over night. In the morning there should be muerouse fish in there. cover the escape hole with a net.

Bingo. Well just a thought anyways. I reckon a good way to catch fry. Make sure the openings large enough for the fish to fit in (but small enough for larger fish to not fit).

we just my 2 cents worth,....

why not just sprinkle a small amount of flake on the surface of the water and get ready to scoop ur fish up. just remember to turn off ur filters so that there isn't as much water disturbance, which would make the flake sink.

Soft drink bottle trap works for me. Locate it/them strategically. Top is cut off and inverted into the body. Fish can't work out very well how to get out. I use an empty cordial bottle for larger fish. I attach the inverted top to the bottom with the larger fish, too, so they can't push the top out and escape.

Funny - I use that trapping method for livebait but didn't think to use it in my tank. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

heyz man

sicne you have slates in your ank and cannout be removed, use a 2 nets, 1 big and 1 small, use the small one to get the fish out of slate or small hiding places that the big net is disadvantaged in , and when in open water ,, use the bigger net as it is easier to catch with.

hoppe this helpz

do it the simplest way

turn off the lights in the room make sure its dark, no light at all, then come back in an hour or two with a torch and net and there you go, easy pickings. Its obviously helps if you can do this at night time. if they are in the slate at the back you can simply push the water around them to move them out, as they will be asleep they will just go where you push them, no sudden movements though as they still respond to that in their sleep. ie they will give a little jolt and swim away, but they will still be asleep.

What i usually do is use 2 nets, big and small.

The big one is the length of my tanks width so no fish can get through and then i corner them and use the small net to lure them into the large net. You dont need to have lights off or anything.

cheers

Richard

Archived