Julies and multis

Mountainmark

I have a colony of N. multifasciatus that consists of about 20-30 fish all up that currently reside in a 2ft. They live (and breed) in a large chunk of lava rock that takes up most of the tank.

In another tank (4x2x1.5high) i have a pair of Julidochromis transcriptus "Gombe" that are just begining to breed for me in some large bailer shells.

I was wondering if people think it would be ok to put the multis in with the julies. Concerns are mainly over predation of fry. The only other occupant of the tank is a large female bristlenose but she hasn't bothered the julies yet and is too big to fit into the lava rock holes (i know because a smaller male BN couldn't fit).

I really want to free up the 2ft for a slightly harder to come by tang species like one of the Chalinochromis species or Telmatochromis species.

G'day,

I've done something similar before, and found fry predation was not a problem, the juli fry stick to the structures and the multi's almost never leave there shelled area.

The only problem I did have was if a multi did happen to stray somewhat and the juli's were breeding I'd generally find a mangled multi, for some reason the juli's aren't tolerant of the multi's if they stray too far from the shells.

The Juli's I was breeding at the time were J. regani "Tanzania Gold".

Mark

j. transcriptus are smaller and milder tempered, so it really shouldnt be a problem, just put 1/3 rock and 1/3 shells, and a wide open area inbetween, the julis and multis will feel insecure in the open space and wont want to leave their areas. or you could put a sightbreak in the open space...either should be just fine

Archived