Sensational New Cory variety

Alan

I had to take a drive today to see Ben (Age of Aquariums) and Tammy (Our Peppermint Queen, Caty on this forum) to pick up a few things.

While enjoying her company and a good old chat I had the pleasure of seeing with my own eyes, the young Albinoes that have come from her colony of C sterbai.

You might say "yeah albino sterbai, just another white fish with red eyes. They have been around for a while" Well not these guys! At less than 2cm Tammy's fish have orange pectoral fins, the typical sterbai pattern in the ventral, anal and even adipose fins. Thier dorsal one distinct bar at the moment and promises to develop more as feint lines can be seen. And I might have been dreaming, but bars in the caudal as well. All markings are a light tan/orange at the moment with white (not clear) white spots. A luteno colour form you say ??? Nope these guys have red eyes !

I was stunned, speechless for a bit, then you would have heard me in Sydney! These babies are sensational !

Good on ya Tammy Bloody unreal

As you can imagine plans are now being made to identify the parents out of the school of breeders and really put some effort into fixing this colour variety.

Alan.

Thanks guys!!

Alan your too kind :B Was good to see you again!!

Yes was pleasantly surprised when I noticed the barring in their fins particularly the anal and adipose fins, unlike the albino sterbai I bought earlier in the year that have completely clear fins.

Now these guys (the albino's) have starting spawning I can go ahead and try to identify the albino carriers in my colony of normal sterb's, which once identified will be kept separate for the time being from the rest of the normals and the albino's hoping to keep this strain with the barring in the fins. Will also keep an eye on any albino fry that come about from the normal/carrier put to the albino to see if this same barring shows up in any of the offspring.

Anyway hope all goes to plan, so we can identify these carriers.

PS. I know who has first dibs on any fry. ;)

Tammy

Wow, they sound really nice! Any chance we might get to see some pics one day?

The lutino vs. albino thing though......lutino IS albino effectively. What happens is that the albino mutation removes melanin (black pigment). Some animals have other colours in their skin, most commonly yellow caused by xanthin pigments. So when the albino mutation removes the black pigments you get the yellow ones left behind, (or others sometimes, such as brown or red). So that's why on albino Red Shoulder peacocks for example you can still see the red shoulder.

Lutino seems to be a name given to animals where the albino mutation gives you a bright yellow coloured animal. They still have the red eyes of an albino. Examples are yellow axolotls, lutino Indian Ringneck birds. In those animals, to get a pure white "classic" looking albino you actually need to combine two mutations - one to remove the melanin, another to remove the yellow pigments too. The same goes for any albino which has yellow etc markings on it.

But I reckon that when they are albino and there are still red/yellow etc markings they are far more striking than a completely white fish.

I guess this is what I was trying to say about the albino pleco......when it boils down to it, albinos are not always completely white.

Cheers,

Jess

Thanks Jess,

That is filling out the word picture more for every one. Rest assured, the camera has been trying to focus on these guys. The auto focus dose not like the white subject and zooms in on everything but the fish, and the darn things don't sit still long enough to focus manually. Dave has fired off a number of frames but none have been up to his exacting standards as yet. He will get one tho so stay tuned.

Alan

Hi Tammy,

How fantastic - well done. I am looking forward to seeing some pics. This is the kind of success that makes our hobby more rewarding. :rolleyes: By the way, I have followed the BN chronology on the Perth site and enjoyed it immensely (I lost my breeding female and haven't been able to spawn them since :p )

merjo

Thanks Guys!!! :B

Still working on some pic's, so far with out much success.

Its not easy trying to focus on a moving subject and white at that, this cam seems have troubles with that fact.

Might try on a pale background see if that helps at all. The cam is being used else where atm so will try again later.

Tammy

Archived