New information on "glofish"

Willy Wombat

That's dissapointing. :o

Though the governenment of calfornia has banned them for a different reason. So at least some peole realise what a huge problem it is.

As far as the food and drugs association goes, they aren't different.

It's only from a hobby/cruelty pont of view that there is an actual problem.

Will be very interesting to see how this develops over the next few months

Hi David,

You've mentioned "cruelty". I usually associate this with fish dyed by injection. The FDA statement relates to "...genetically engineered zebra danio fish..."

I might be wrong, but it seems like we're talking about two separate issues (not that that makes either of them right!)

Cheers,

Hi Lee -

We certainly are talking about two separate issues :).

I agree with Griffin and a few others on this topic, if we are going to "colour" fish artificially then better to do it this way than with a hypodermic needle.

Not that I think it is a useful or appropriate use of the technology.

Yeah definately,

by hobby/cruelty I meant and/or, so I could probably have worded that better :):

While I do think that it is pretty amazing (and kinda cool) to be able to do that kind of thing to an animal, I still don't believe in it.

Hay guys look what i found :D

Because tropical aquarium fish are not used for food purposes, they pose no threat to the food supply. There is no evidence that FRONTOSA fish pose any more threat to the environment than the current local population which have long been widely sold in the Australia. In the absence of a clear risk to the public health, AQIS finds no reason to regulate these particular fish.

HAHAH ONLY WISH !!!!!! :lol:

AND YET GOLDFISH ARE ALLOWED IN MMMMMMMM

HAHAHA BE GOOD

Archived