Question: Food For Frontosa?

Tommi

Hi all,

There is some controversy over feeding beef heart to some cichlids, esp. tangs. These foods are quite fatty and this is not positive on the fishes health. I feed mine pellets (pred. shrimp), live shrimp and occassionally sera flora (they take it from my hand so it does end up floating through the tank. I used to use bloodworm (frozen) but I heard that it wasn't a great idea. Not sure about the validity of this.

merjo

p.s. they breed almost continually so I guess they are happy/healthy.

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble feeding my new fronty, he doesn't seem to enthusiastic about frozen bloodworms, he takes the odd one in his mouth but no where near enough to fill him up. He also does the same with the little cichlid pellets.

I just got him on saturday, so will it take him a while to settle in? and also he was fed on cichlid pellets and brine shrimp, so i think this may be the reason he doesn't like the bloodworms, not to sure though.

Anyone got any ideas??

Oh and his fins are not in the best condition, still good though, will they repair and grow back to normal?? i was thinking a high protein diet will help.

cheers

My fronties love pellets and blooodworms. Make sure it is sinking pellets as they do no surface up to eat food as taking in air at the surface can cause them bladder problems. They'll eat the sinking pellets as long as your substrate is not too fine because as they pick their food it it can get caught in their mouths with the food and so deters them from eating. I put them in a tank with sand substrate before and they hated it. Feed bloodworms occasionally as they do contain a high fat content however it is a good source of protein at around 60%. It doesnt hurt to treat them often with bloodworms but I don't recommend buying live ones from the shop because they can be diseased, I've had no problems with frozen ones though. They'll eat prawns minus the shell and fish too as long as you dont feed them fish from freshwater origin this is to prevent the contraction of diseases to your frontosa. Hope any of this helps

Just another addition to the above posts, I try to feed my frontosas live bloodworms once in a while. They absolutely devour them. I also feed them sinking pellets, frozen mysis shrimp and flakes. You should really try to mix up their diet.

Cirulis, if you have just bought your fronty on Saturday, it takes them up to two weeks till they start eating....well mine did.

:)

Huy

Huy,

i bought my fronty at 11cm, he is a nice colourful male, what u said about them not eating for 2 weeks would that still apply for mine since he is older, and more likely to be used to a certain type of food?? i found out from the previous owner that he was fed a variety of brine shrimp, flake and tetrabits. Do i have to still feed him this or will he adapt to my food? :)

thanks

Hi, cirulis

Personally i find frontosa is not that pickey with food.

my new frontosa which i got a week ago, eats anything i give them. which is color bits, brine shrimp and blood worms.

hope your frontosa will eat soon

Hi, tykita

i dont know much about bloodworms

however

if anyone are looking for great nutrition food try DIY

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/DIYfood2.html

cheers

Tommy

Archived