temporary storage for fish

pleasant man

hi all,

this friday i'm moving my frontosa colony to a bigger tank - only problem is, the new tank is going where the old one is now

today i bought some plastic garbage bins from bunnings (they hold 55 lt each) to hold the fish for an hour or so, while the swap takes place

on the way home, i had a bit of a panic attack - will these actually be ok for the fish? i.e. does anyone know if they'll leach any chemicals into the water and hurt the fish?

thanks heaps, guys!

chris

Give them a good clean with something like Metho and then fill with aquarium water over night and then test the water. If it looks smells and test ok put a (sorry everyone) test subject in and see how it goes for an hour.

Be sure to rinse the bin’s really well after washing them with Metho.

Don't use a fronty as a test fish will you! :lol:

Another thing to do, I've done this before, clean the bath with Metho really really well and then fill it with tank water. Put them in there for a few hours with the filter running and they should be fine.

Be sure to rinse the bath really well after washing it with Metho.

Well said Nigel ;) ...

Chris , Get some BLACK bin liners for yer bins too :p as it'll keep them much calmer , it's unlikely that you will have any trouble in a short term shift as such ..

So don't panic , enjoy the exchange and yer new tank ... Have fun :p

Andy...

The bin will be fine, i have done the exact same thing except not an hour like a whole day before no probs just put a little aqurium water in to wash out then fill with the rest of the aquarium water run aerator and heater and will be sweet :p:p

The bins will be fine after a clean. They're usually polypropylene which is commonly used to make take-away containers. It doesn't outgas or do anything funny until around 120 C.

Cheers - OziOscar.

The bin liners will stop them from bucket burn on the eyes :o

this is cause when they rub against the inside of the bucket/bin

Unless cloudy eyes on fish are to your liking :p

An airstone in the bin will work fine while your moving things

but you can also have any canister filters running in the bins

to keep the bacteria happy

:p L2H

much appreciated, guys! :D

i think i'll go with the garbage bag method - i'll let you know how it turns out

oh, and i thought about keeping the cannister filter going while doing the move, but decided it would probably be too much current for them(?), as it'll be moving about 1500 lt/h in 40 lt of water :o - perhaps i'll just get an extra bin

cheers

chris

I am a plastic injection moulder. The bins won't leach or anything but there is a very good chance the mould is sprayed with a silicone mould release prior to injecting the plastic when they are made. This would probably not have been cleaned off before packing/dispatching them. While this stuff isn't hard to clean off(metho would be good) why risk missing a bit ? Use the bag and you have one less worry IMO.

Lata

Matt

Archived