bullrout

Chafule

hey folks

i just caught 2 small bullrouts from the river

they bout 3cm long and i never knew wot they were but my father wanted to keep them

just wandering wot i can feed em and if they look the same when they old as when they young

they bloody lazy!!.....

ty

at that size feed bbs, daphnia, microworms, baby freshwater shrimp, mosquito larva, basically anything that moves that will fit into their mouth

they will stay reasonably true to type as they age... but they will become even slower... word of caution... do not get stuck on their spines... but i guess you already know that... (there is no pain killer strong enough for their poison)

huh.gif As soon as the rays develop hardness enough to pierce skin. I would say youd probably be looking at a couple of months of age. But I imagine even at 3cm they would have potential for nasty stings.

If you are spiked put the spiked area under the hottest water possible without burnin your self and pain goes away quick smart!! wink.gifthumb.gif

I wish the pain from my sting went away quick smart. I wa sin agony for about 3hours, them mild pain for the next 6 or so.

I think they'll sting as son as they can swim. They are a big problem on prawn trawlers around Newcastle, anyone who works on one knows exactly what to do AVOID THE BUGGERS AND DONT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCS TOUCH THEM.

I've been stung by a 3cm bullrout, caught in a net that no one noticed, i was onlyy 8 at the time and still remember quite vividly the pain and agony.

But i rekon they are an awesome fish. As the only freshwater(-->brackish) member of the scorpionfish family they are an excellent representiive of Australias irregular and diverse fauna.

You don't have to put it back when it can ssting, just don't go sticking your arm in the tank and everything will be O.K.

Excellent fish mate!

If you caught your baby bullrouts in southern waters they may be fortescues. Similar sort of critter but doesn't sting as bad as a bullrout.. and even they sting bad enough. even quite small ones (3-4cm) can mess up your hand or foot pretty bad for a night if you are unlucky enough to get stung.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 3 bullrouts at the moment and caught them in Penrith ( nepean river).

I feed them white mountain clouds or Neons .

I think they are a great fish and seeing how they just blend into any surrounding and are gone from view is great.

They are lazy as anything though and you have to be very careful when cleaning the tank as i have a had a few close calls, even picked one up not knowing it was a bullrout when i first got them laugh.gif

Does anyone know if they are sold in any aquarium shops??? Just curious more than anything.

Archived