best place to get driftwood

Dragon_Lord_Tia

Hi -

I obtained all my drift wood from rural farms for free.

Drive out into the country and have a look around. Male sure you ask for permission most farmers will let you collect 1/2 a dozen bits for $0 :p.

Though they look at you a bit strangely.

Don't take it from the bush!

:D

i got all mine from my local river, there is a huge area of mangrove and fallen trees that lay in the mud. i got a piece that i can only just get in my 6 footer. its about 3 foot long and a foot wide and looks like half a tree that has fallen into the mud and started to rot. every time it comes out to be cleaned it takes about ten minutes to check for my bristlenose's. i reckon it would cost probaly $150 to buy in stores but only took me a couple of hour to find and dig up plus about two days to clean. you can also dig up mangrove root in no time (dead tree that is). this may a prob for the guys in the city but i am south of wollongong so its no trouble for me

:^:

josh and evelyn

Hi,

It really depends on where you live. I live out in the country. We have 1000's of acres behind us that hasnt been treked on so to speak for years. I went on a walk 2 weeks ago right up in the hills. I found some hardwood pieces, which has been weathered and exposed to the elements for a very very long time. There were 100's of canidates so to speak scattered everywhere, but it really depends on what kind of effect you want. Anywhere around the central west region of NSW. Definately ask the farmers permission, because they tend to get a little suspect when they see "city" peoples walking the hills :wub

I got the esky, filled it with hot wate, continued to do that for a week and then hosed the wood. I've had it in the tank since and absolutely no problem with tannins, fungus, etc.

Pic 1 shows the general type of areas to look for wood like this and Pic 2 shows the wood I picked up.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Scott

PIC 1

wood_search.jpg

PIC 2

wood_found.jpg

If you can find native species fallen, maybe a little burnt and if there is termites in them all the better. Get an old saucpan, boil the bits you want to use 2 or 3 times changing the water each time and you will have no trouble. I have done this many times. If the bits are too big to boil just soak them for a week or so changing the water a few times. There are a few nono's, I would avoid any sort of softwood and especially treated pine, I suspect this would give casualties for sure. Also cypress pine should be avoided.

Anything in the bush with stringybark should be suitable.

i no i wasnt supposed but i got an awesome piece from the georges river near macquarie fields me n sisters boyfriend had nothing to do n went for a walk i got a piece that was like a big arch it had small caves every way you looked at it but it didnt fit in the 6x18x18 so took it lfs and got 40 bucks credit not bad for a walk n the park

Hi Guys -

I'm going to stress again. Don't collect these pieces from the bush :angry:. Farmland is much better :p.

You don't want to displace any wildlife in the process!

There is a thing called an "arbor tech" or something like that. It is a circular disk with chain saw like teeth that goes in a 4" angel grinder. With the price of Chinese power tools so low you can probably obtain a set up like this for about $50 and then sculpture pieces of old trees to what ever you want. The tool is very efficient and fast and will take off your fingers before you realise it is even possible, so be CAREFUL.

:B

Hi Ed,

I installed a 2000 lt/hr internal filter a few days ago and blew up a hell of a storm with the plants in there. The tube extends off the outlet of the pump and has roughly 20 holes evenly spaced along it. It allows for the water to be dispersed over a large area so it remains relitavely still, but still filters at max rate. The reason its pink is that nearly all other condut and similar black tubes could have leached chemicals into the tank. The pipe is a special food grade stuff which will not. I've still got to get 2 90 degree bends, so I can put it down the back behind everything out of view.

Easiest way to describe it, like an oversized spray bar :blink Anyway I'm going back to bed :lol:

Cheers,

Scott

Archived