My peppermints aren't eating

taybelZ

Hiya guys, i got five baby (about 4cms) Peppermint Bristlenose in a 4 X 18 X 18 with some corys, filteration provided via a AC 300 hang on filter. Tank temp is 26degrees, PH-untested.

My problem is I never seem to see them eat, I've had them in a 24 X 18 X 18 prior to moving them with some baby bristlenoses I threw in everything... pumpkin/zukini/cucumber/algae pellets/baby prawn and OSI sprilina pellets. The baby bristlenoses loved it!!! Always over it, but the peppermints didn't seem to be on the food as much. I did occasionally see them on the food, I woke up at all kinda hours to see if they were feeding but rarely were. (they are more noctural feeding from what I understand).

Now in the 48 X 18 X 18 I throw in a pumpkin (frozen) sinks instantly and they dont' even touch it or baby prawn. They always on the wood hiding. Even at night...I'm just concerned that they aren't feeding enough and perhaps something could be wrong.

Perhaps I'm just too worried :) , and nothing is wrong. They just dont' seem to eat much at all!!! compared to my common BN (both adults & babies).

What may be wrong? Or what kinda irresistable food do you find works to get them to eat?

Thanks

Dave

G'day Dave I had huge problems getting baby peppermints eating when I first bred these guys and what I found worked well was raw spinich leaves (changed daily) and tetra bits. Another problem was water changes, I lost a lot in the begining every time a water change was done so I started using water from a large display tank and lost very few after that. Almost forgot I also kept changing wood from other tanks that have no cats in them they seem to like the soft film on the wood. This is my experience only and I'm sure that other breeders would have a few more to add too the list :D

Dave,

I've noticed Peppermints seem a-bit more nocturnal then common bristlenose, could they be eating at night? Also a key factor to getting them out during the day seems to be the presence of dither fish. Their natural instinct is to stay hidden if they can't see anything swimming above them. The frentic activity of small tetras, when food is added to the tank triggers catfish to begin feeding behaviour. You're more likely to have them appear during feeding time using dither fish, plus it gives you something to look at when the catfish are hiding! A catfish only tank is a "still life", rather then a living picture. :D

-Shaun

Dave

One question

Do they have full stomachs or sunken stomachs

Full rounded stomach means they are eating

Sunken stomachs means they aren't eating

You don't have to see them eat to know they are

You can night feed them at lights out aswell

:p L2H

I think a lot also depends on the individual Peppermints; I have four in two different tanks (ranging in size from 4cm to 6cm without tail, just measured them on the font glass), and three of them are real guts, chasing the Clown loaches or SAEs off the algae tablets, whereas one is much more shy, although all are active during the day (although not on the front glass). FWIW, I have a dark, almost black substrate, and the tanks are heavily planted, so they may feel more comfortable.

My adult Peps never feed during daylight hours.

Just make sure you throw in some food each night when u switch the lights out.

Though my fry are no where near as shy. Im sure they gradually become more and more shy as they grow older.

Dark substrate helps, as well as feeding when the lights go off...

L2H's definition of how to see if they are eating is spot on...

geesh, I must be lucky, all my guys are out and about all day, and when the tabs are dropped at feeding times, they are like Hyenas to a rotten carcass... they go mad...

geesh, I must be lucky, all my guys are out and about all day, and when the tabs are dropped at feeding times, they are like Hyenas to a rotten carcass... they go mad...

Mine are in a community tank, and a goldfish tank; it's always amusing to see them fight over the pellets. The peps technique seem to be to lie covering the tabs, and this is successful for almost everyone, including the persistant SAEs, but goldfish are hungrier and usually win... :rolleyes:

Archived