HELP...Goldfish water temperature

Melbourne_Bill

I have been investigating the water requirements for fancy goldfish and in my research I have discovered that the optimum temperature for keeping goldfish is:

a) definitely 13-18 celsius;

b) 17 celsius, not a degree less or more; and

c) has to be 21-24 celsius.

These are all from reputable sources.

What do people here keep their goldfish at?

Thank you

I have never kept a real eye on temp with goldies. However, the ones in a pond at my brothers weekender (Central Coast) breed without fail every year. The all winter well, from fry-adult sizes, and temps probably get lower than 13 I imagine. In summer, temps can top 30 out there, this hurts them more than the cold, thats for sure, lack of oxygen I'd imagine.

I've never kept goldfish but spoke to people from Scotland last year. They had a fish pond outside that froze over. They thought the fish died, but not only did they not die, they managed to breed later on.

While I don't know what is specifically required for the fish you wish to care for, it seems that goldfish in general can live in most conditions and breed despite our attempts to put them in conditions they should not be able to exist in.

Good luck with whatever you try to achieve

Rob

I keep mine at around 24 ,they are more active at this temp just in my opinion.

I have them in my room so the temp changes all the time as I have my room heater on at night and off during the day and this temp changes can cause whitespot (happened) so Id rather have them on stable temp.

• 2 weeks later...

koi are pretty much the same they get whatever temp is going,the only important thing is dont feed them under12c or over32c i dont feed mine at all in june july &august &i find this is where they lose weight and put on length it is a strange thing that the coldest countries have the biggest fish

Bill,

I keep some Goldfish in a couple of 100 litre earns on my north facing deck. The earns get sun all day in winter and I have noticed the temperature fluctuating to a minumum af 14 degrees on most mornings (outside temp is about 8 degrees minimum near the beach) and heating up to around 23-24deg during the day (when the sun is shining at around 17-18deg maximum). In summer the earns need some protection from the sun and 30 deg water temp is usually tops, with temps around 22-30 degrees through summer. The goldfish seem to do well and I have never had a death. I keep some plant life (eugeria densa) in the earns to supply the oxygen and never have them overcrowded.

cheers,

Daniel

I keep my Ranchu in 24C in a heavily planted tank and he seems to motor around quite happily, eating everything in sight. Chubby little fella. smile.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

I keep mine at around 24 ,they are more active at this temp just in my opinion.

From what ive been told, goldfish kept in warmer conditons will eat more, be more agressive and competitive around the tank, grow faster ect.. Make sense?b

Lepperfish..b

Mine seems happy enough between 21C and 26C (heated tank, but I drop the temp over winter, and increase it over spring).

Found that they seem to grow faster when they have more room.

Hmmm I keep my goldfish (including ryukins) in a pond in the ACT that gets very cold in winter and warm in summer and have had no problems at all. My girlfriend has fancy goldfish in perfect water quality in an inside tank set at exactly 24 degrees. She has had nothing but problems....go figure. huh.gif

It's just one of those things...

A good chum in Japan (Akita prefecture, NW of Tokyo) has a huge koi pond. The water ranges from 'crispy on top' to maybe 20C and the Koi in there are up to 80 years old and looking very healthy indeed. Admittedly, the pond is 10' deep and about 40' x 10' and his grandfather started it.

Somehow, I think there is a whole lot of luck to it, despite our attempts to optimise the conditions to get Ranchu, Oranda and Lionheads that look like grapefruit with fins. :D

Maybe we should talk about this in another ten years when our livestock are still fat and flourishing. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

ive heard this too oz,the japs have by far the biggest koi in the world and they claim its all to do with temperature variation and cold winters,and as for being worthless as someone said earlier in this post $650,000us is a lot of money to boil(average price of grand champion taisho sanke & kohaku) wub.gif

Archived