juliedichromis "gombi"

Burek

hi everyone.

when ever i do a waterchange a few of my gombis die.

i do 2, 20-30% waterchanges a week.

they are in a 2ft by themselves.

when i dont do waterchanges they areall normal.

i use warm water with the dechlorinator.

are they that delicate?

Daniel

I have never liked the idea of using warm water from the tap. It has been sitting in your hot water heater all day.

If I were you I would put cold water into your kettle and boil some and increase the water tempature that way or put a heater into the bucket/drum you are using for water changes and warm the water that way.

Maybe I have missunderstood how you are warming the water. But this is what I would do.

I don't think stresscoat is a water conditioner? I was under the impression it was more like a secondary course to help mend the slime coat of injured or sick fish? I may be thinking of the wrong product though.

Also, your water heater is most likely copper, with lots of copper piping. Having water sitting in the copper all day will effect the trace elements in the water and it will most likely be higher in copper than it "should" be. Personally I prefer heating the water in a different way (like has been said) or I believe straight from the tap cold water is a better option even, given the right water conditioner.

Think about it like this Daniel.

Mix all the ingredients of a cake together except for flour, bake it and then add the flour afterwards. You won't achieve the desired result. laugh.gif

So yes condition the water before it goes into the tank.

Cheers

Paul

Its really strange that everone has a different way of doing things, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

I misplaced all my chemicals when moving house and it was after 5pm. so fish shop closed. Called my friend who has oscars to borrow some chemicals. I almost died when he told me he doesn't use any!!! His fish are doing great. Close to a foot long...??? Can anyone explain this??? huh.gif

Its just that some fish are stronger oscars are one of the strong ones. Its not the best thing to do not if you live in Sydney. Because of the drought thay are putting a lot of chemicals in the water i would guess as the dams get lower. So if the drought does not brake soon it will only get worse. So my advice to everyone is get yourself a good water ager.

Just on Nigels point, I always though water conditioners were a bit of a waste of time. never used em. when I got my latest setup I was lucky enough to have a whole lot of water conditioner, and started using it. Gave some to my mum but she was pretty hit and miss at using it cos like me she never used it. never had a problem in nearly 20 years doing it that way. then one time she lost the entire contents of a 6x2 after a water change. some of the stuff couldn't be replaced as there was 10 and 15 year old fish in the tank that are no longer available. that was a hard lesson, but neither her nor I let even a drop of sydney water into our tanks without conditioning it first. Prime is excellent, but safe is even better and more economical. safe is one of the major components of prime, it just doesn't have the slime coating thing. its a powder. just to give you an idea though, you can pick up a massive tub of the stuff for $100. I bought some and have used it to condition close to 30,000 litres of water since I had it. I reckon I have maybe used 10% of the jar if I am VERY lucky. $100 for a lifetime of water changes for most people keeping fish. I reckon its a pretty damn good investment! thumb.gif

Even more off topic: why does it smell so bad and where can one purchase a tub for $100? Prime is proving to be expensive the further one goes into the hobby.

Cheers

Paul

Archived