Keeping Cobalt Blues

stagfest

Hi peoples,

I just wanted to find out if these fish have special requirements to keep. I know they eat mainly vegetable matter, but what else do these fish need to thrive? How many males to females do i need for them...

It just sux i thought i was finished with my collection until i saw this beautiful fish!!! i have to get another tank now!!! LOL.gif

-Cheers...Merv-

I have had them breeding for about a year now. I have given them good quality HBH flake, Pellets from the NSWCS and infrequently Tetrabits. They seem quite happy to eat anything that is provided. On the stocking side I have kept 2 Males for 7 Females in a 5 x 2 x 2. There are other fish in there also but the Cobolts are the most dominant. There is the occational battle of wills with the males but on the whole they are happy enough to stick to their own ends of the tank. Just be warned that they can be aggressive so it is better to grow a group up together. Try to give deep dark caves for your males and I find a big water change with cooler water gets them to spawn. Eggs are huge compared to other cichlids but from personal experience and talking to others who have them I find that they dont breed as often as you would like... around a mouthful a month/two months from mine. Hope this helps!

Cheers Folkner wink.gif

i feed mine just about the same as folkner except replacing the tetra bits for sera granules, and sometimes i throw a whole lettuce leaf but more often shelled peas, the only live foods they get are occasionally blackworms and bloodworms. I must have really good luck with mine, cos they are not the dominant fish and they breed about once every 2-3 weeks generally with a mouthful of around 20+ . i also do the cooler waterchange but only every fourth waterchange when the tank gets a 50% waterchange(cos i have to clean behind rocks etc.) as opposed to the weekly 25% change. they seem to be rewarding me for their treatment. i keep 1 male to 2 females in the tank which is a custom 100 x 50 x 50 cm tank with a canister filter, 2 internal powerheads, and a undergravel filter. the only thing that may have contributed to such a good yeild is the hundreds of slate rock caves in my tank. but come to think of it they have always bred like that. which reminds me i've got to relocate the female to her own tank today she has a mouthful!

cheers keep us posted.

cb's rock! thumb.gif

now i'm even more interested...hey kat, have you got any fry for sale??? I'll have a tank ready in a weeks time...how much do they currently go for???

Jeez...my girlfriend is gonna kill me!!! rolleyes.gif oh well!!! laugh.gif

Hi Merv,

I had a big colony about 20 in a standard 4ft tank. They are agressive, but did not find them overly aggressive. The best to keep 2 males with unlimited females. I even kept electric blues with them for a while.

The Maylandia callanois are algae grazers in the wild, but in the tank they readily accept any food as long as it is not too high on protein. I was giving them spirulina pellets, spirulina flakes and normal flake food.

I have some fry coming up, they are 3cm at the moment.

Roland

Hi Rol,

Well in that case i might take a few off you when they are ready... Oh the hongis are doing fantasic...mouthful with 3 females... let me know when they are ready and i'll drop by...

-cheers...merv-

Archived