help with filtration

noyd

Hi,

I current have a 2' setup, with a UGF, and a Internal Power Filter that pumps 180lp/h (almost 3x tank amount).

The IPF has been running for about 2 weeks, along with the UGF (been running for about 1 month).

Ammonia is at 0ppm so I'm guessing its an established tank now.

I'm planning on getting rid of the UGF, but im curious if the IPF will do the job on its own?

Tank contents:

180lp/h Internal Power Filter

Under-gravel filter

Gravel 3"

Plastic Plants x2

2x Neolamprologus 6 Bars

2x Clown Loaches

TIA

Hi. ugf's are a matter of preference. I used to use them in both fresh and salt water tanks, but found they're much more trouble than they're worth (my personal opinion). Cichlids tend to dig alot, and can damage the set-up, plus lot's of nasty stuff can accumulate underneath the things. Have you added fish yet?. You didn't mention it. You have to have fish in there for a couple of weeks or so, so the tank can be properly cycled. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on ugf's, but that's my opinion. ;)

It should be okay if the filter media in your IPF is colonised by the necessary bacteria. If want to play safe, leave it a couple more weeks.

In my opinion the IPF will be fine as long as it has a decent size sponge/filter for bacteria colonisation. With small tanks i tend to look for bio capacity more so than water flow as some IPFs have very small filters with high flow rates.

What brand are you using ? For example, the Rio line has many different setups, some have a single small sponge, some have a single large sponge and others have 2 sponges. back in my silly days i ran a 2ft tank off a Rio 800 power head that had the 2 sponge attachment, i actually filled the bottom container/attachment with small boi noodles. Worked a charm except my fish spent most their time pinned against the glass :huh:

Lata

Matt

What brand are you using ? For example, the Rio line has many different setups, some have a single small sponge, some have a single large sponge and others have 2 sponges. back in my silly days i ran a 2ft tank off a Rio 800 power head that had the 2 sponge attachment, i actually filled the bottom container/attachment with small boi noodles. Worked a charm except my fish spent most their time pinned against the glass :8

I'm using an Atman 102 for the express purpose that my Goldfish likes to play in the current stream; the output from the canister wasn't good enough for them now that they are larger in size. :D

The IPF is a...

Well heres the box contents...

"Multi-level Bio-Filtration" - "Immersible Pump, by HAILEA"

The sponge is quite small, but seems like it will do the job for a 2'.

*Adopts high quality bio filter sponge, which is suitable for breeding nitrifier.

*Special structure carbon box which is better for releasing the impurity in the water.

- Applies for.. Draining water, Producing Oxygen, Wave-making, Filtering and Fountain.

Model.... HX-1000A

Power.... 3W

Calibre.... 10.0MM

Max jet.... 0.55M

Max flow.... 180L/H

Weight.... 0.25kg

Size.... 55x65x145mm

And there you have it, quite a cheap filter, paid $27.80

if this is no good let me know people and I will go for something that can do the job on its own.

cheers

Sounds like it could probably do the job if you want it to. Does it have a special compartment for carbon or something ? If so i'd be filling that up with some sort of bio media instead.

If you decide it's not enough, IMO an AC150/AC200 would be great on that tank and can be had for $45-50.

Just my opinion

Matt

Not really. It may be classed as a bio media for all i know, but even if it does hold any bacteria it's useless as the carbon has to be thrown away after a month or so or it will start to leach all the crap it has removed back into your tank.

I'd reccomend filling the carbon chamber with a handful of Matrix or some small ceramic noodles for a bit more bio capacity. Though i rarely use carbon on my tanks so maybe my opinion is a bit off..................

Anyone else got an opinion on this ? I have no problems with some one telling me how wrong i am........... ;);)

Lata

Matt

oh ok cool

well say i keep the carbon.. how often do i change the carbon?

and how often should i rinse the sponge in it?

can u give me about more detail about these noodles n stuff?

cheers

Hi Guys -

I don't use or recommend carbon for tanks. Unless you are using it for a particular reason ie: to rid yourself of some medication, smell or tannins.

There was a long discussion on this on the old system.

Carbon does become exhausted after a month or so (shorter times in tanks with lots of organic pollutants).

Even so, it was raised by someone that carbon probably doesn't leach anything into the water once past this point. Things get attracted to A.carbon by charge (if these things were to "leave" the carbon once it had done all its adsorbing - then the carbon would again become charged.

In saying this though - things stuck to the carbon may be replaced by other molecules which have a greater attraction for the carbon.

HTH -

oh ok cool

well say i keep the carbon.. how often do i change the carbon?

and how often should i rinse the sponge in it?

can u give me about more detail about these noodles n stuff?

cheers

Carbon: see Yews post ^^^

Sponge: again this depends on it's size how fast it will clog up. Being that it's gonna be used for bio load i'd rinse it every 2 weeks in tank water, and no need to go over board on the rinsing, it doesn't have to be spotless, You don't wanna be washing off all the bacteria, just enough so the water can flow through it well and there are no large chucks of yuck on/in it. If you do use some bio media as well as the sponge you could rinse/wash it off alot cleaner and more often as you have beneficial bacteria elsewhere in your filter to help with the bio load.

Noodles, bio media: see this page

basicly it's just somthing for the good bacteria to grow on. You really can use just about anything and it'll work. Without the bacteria you'll have some very sick fish.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

Matt

The noodles are porous and designed to accumulate bacteria

Carbon is an absorbant and is used to remove tannin, medication

and some other elements from the tank, it has a finite life span as

when it is at capacity it will leach back anything absorbed

Biomedia is anything used to cultivate bacteria and ranges from

sponge, nylon scourers, ceramic noodles, to bio balls and bio mat

:p L2H

thanks for the info, it says i can keep re-using these noodles.. how often should i take them out and give them a rinse without losing the bacteria?

right now i have taken 60% of the carbon out of my IPF, added about 7 noodles, and sprinkled some carbon on to it.. until the noodles are ready to perform on there own, then i will take the carbon out and have just noodles, how long should i give it?

cheers

Why not keep the UGF and direct the power filter flow into the uplift creating a reverse flow, very efficient for small tanks?

As for the power filter on its own, no way would I trust such a small filter for a 2fter giving the propensity for cichlid keepers to 'add one more fish' than they probably should.

If cash flow is a problem then Ben at Age of Aquariums has a 570 lph hang on filter for $27 delivered, add to this a small bag of Bio Gran sintered glass ($7) medium and stocking (within reason) would not become a problem.

Archived