Java Fern

Ducksta

How long does this stuff generally take to attatch itself to its host (ie. wood) I have some nice bushes banded to pieces in my tanks, and the plant is flourishing, growing etc. But on removal of the elastic, none of the roots had taken to any piece? I'm confused. I thought the roots would take before the leaf got greener and bigger?

Ducksta...i have just attached some java fern to a large piece of driftwood, instead of elastic i used sewing pins (the ones with the balls on one end), i just pushed the pin through the rhizome and then into the piece of driftwood, i did this about 3 weeks ago, i took the pins out a few days ago and they have attached themselves. you gotta push the plant down the pin until its touching the wood.

not much help for attaching to rocks though.

I don't know why, but it attaches to some wood and rocks better than others.

john,

i tied fishing line over my java moss and it stuck to the wood overtime...about 2 months.

i used rubber bands for the java ferns, and just left it. that was a yr ago...

couple weeks ago, i took the rubber band out, and its stuck firmly...

but that pin idea is a good one...i'll try that! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the best tip for keeping java fern, I recently bought a bunch and tied up to wood using thread... how can you keep the plant from decay or melting as some would put it? any information would be greatly appreciated! rolleyes.gif

Give it what it needs. Though java fern is a fairly undemanding plant it still requires some light and maybe some ferts. What light are you running, are you adding ferts and how long has it been in your tank? Some plants will 'melt' when they experience a sharp change in water properties (one tank to another). Most will come back in no time so if you are providing adequate light then id say that it will come back on its own.

Craig

Often plants sold are grown out of water to speed their growth; when you submerge them, conditions change, and they "melt" (in the case of Java Fern, the leave turn black and drop off). Don't worry about it, as although it slows things down somewhat, it will grow back. Personally I've found Java Fern to be fast growing; they grow pretty big and fast in my tank.

I am using an 18W Sylvania Grolux (suitable for plants) i am not using any ferts as such... how long should i leave the light on ? It has been in the tank since last friday

How big is your tank, Wilsta? Your lighting might be inadequate.

Go for a 10 - 12 hours illumination period. If you're not on an auto-timer (about $6 at Bunnings), then do it as it makes life lots easier.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hello...

Your lighting is a bit on the low side for getting plant growth.

My tank that has only Java fern (and a heap of fish) has 2 x 36" fluoros on it.

When I had only one, the plants were pretty average. As soon as I put the second one in the java started to grow very long and luscious, growing along the rhizome as well as producing plantlets vigorously.

If you can think about a 4' CF like the Aqua Life ones and use a 10K / 6K5 split lamp you will love the results.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Isnt it the tube you need to worry about not the size of the light itself & the reflector? I only have one plant in the centre of the tank which is directly under both lights.. I know what your saying ozi but 48" lights are expensive.

Yes, you're right.

If you have both of those small lamps together and the plants directly uder, it might be OK. Give it a shot - you've nothing to lose.

If you have a hood on the tank, then you can get bare fluor battens for cheap at Turks and the like (forget Bunnings et al for the 'hardware' - they are too expensive compared to trade shops), or a ballast and end caps and DIY the whole lot.

The NEC BR-HG lamps which are readily available at Bunnings are less expensive than the ones from the LFS. You can find the right model for your needs here.

The CF ones I mentioned earlier are the cat's pyjamas, but the initial cost is the killer. However, the lamps only need replacement every 2 - 3 years instead of every 6 - 9 months. The lamps all emit light longer than that of course, but the output wavelength alters with age and all sorts of interesting things happen to your plants (and algae!).

Lots of luck.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Ozi,

i can get CF setups for much cheaper than what you guys can find around here.

But the only drawback is that:

1) there's no garentee, but then again no lights sold in lfs have any. huh.gif

2) usage is at your own risk, my source refuses to sell them because as it's his handy work, he doesn't want anyone turning around and suing him for any blown fuses or fires etc.

However i'm trying to source around and find out how this can work out. AT least i know there's a warranty supplied by him, if anything spoils he'll gladly take it back and mend it for you.

A lil hassle tho, but the amounts saved are heaps!

Sounds pretty cool, but I have my fears for the sake of insurance. For the sake of a few quid vs a 6 apartment-building getting a little bbq'ed I think I will take the product that the insurance company can accept in case of an incident. If I had an outdoor shed / fish room, then it would be a different kettle of fish (no pun intended).

Cheers - OziOscar.

Sounds pretty cool, but I have my fears for the sake of insurance. For the sake of a few quid vs a 6 apartment-building getting a little bbq'ed I think I will take the product that the insurance company can accept in case of an incident. If I had an outdoor shed / fish room, then it would be a different kettle of fish (no pun intended).

Cheers - OziOscar.

Well said dude.

As always safety's the number 1 issue, ah well, but there's gotta be some way around this! Cheap CFs Must be availiable! LOL.gif

I've been thinking about using those Energy Saver lamps that just go into a regular bayonet or screw lamp holder.

There are some (Nelson brand I think) that have a 5K light temperature, but I can't find any spectral information, so I am not sure how it would go for a tank for plant growth.

I have one of the 48W ones (240W incandescent equivalent) in my desk lamp here in the study and I just about need sunnies. smile.gif

The price is right for the lamp and fixture (lamp = $23-ish retail, holder = $5 or so depending on where you buy).

Anyone tried this yet?

Cheers - OziOscar.

I was dabbling with that idea for awhile, but i realised that i couldn't find any between 6500 - 8000k, which is the idea temperature for plants.

I did come across an article or a forum thread somewhere that using other spectrums might promote algae growth, so i gave up on that idea.

But then again, even if we DIYed, wouldn't that still be close to smelling the toast of a building? laugh.gif

But then again, even if we DIYed, wouldn't that still be close to smelling the toast of a building?  laugh.gif

Yes, but I trust my own work before I trust someone else's. Especially something I have done many times. And with known components. <<wry smile, complete with wrinkles>>

However, if there is an algae risk then I'm far from interested. I'm already a national algae laboratory. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

I just made a hood for 4 of those compact flouros last week.

Hood

It would be great if I could get some nicer 90 dgree fittings instead of fabbing them out of other stuff but those ones are ok.

I also picked up 4 better lights for it on the weekend. 26W, 6400K colour temperature. They cost me $5 each from that junky market that's at Flemington on the car park on Saturday mornings. That's a total of 100W of CF in 200 litres.. Oversupply.

I have a few of the Nelson 48W globes but they are too big to be easy to mount on a hood but I have tried them in an open mount and they sure seem to make the plants grow. Trouble is they also light the whole room. I can only get them in 5K too.

Hey Mianos...

Looks good - sounds good.

Love to know how you go with the algal growth on those 5K units. You're tempting me, Sir!

Illuminating the whole room as a by-product doesn't worry me one whit as I keep the fish away from my bedroom and prefer low light at night at home anyway. :D Probably ends up in lower power costs for me overall.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Love to know how you go with the algal growth on those 5K units. You're tempting me, Sir!

I ran a 48W 5K Nelson CF over my bath tub tank for about 5 months. It was stocked with lots of bred golden apple snails, guppies, 2 bristlenose and a pleco. It had lots of elodia and a massive filter. I had no algae at all.

p.s. you can get the 48W 5K CFs from Bunnings.

Yes, but I trust my own work before I trust someone else's. Especially something I have done many times. And with known components. <<wry smile, complete with wrinkles>>

I'd have to second you on that point!

But don't take my word completely on the algae promotion bit.

I could've sworn i read it somewhere, but i can't seem to find it to be able to substantiate what i said!

Perhaps you might beable to find something somewhere on this issue?

The problem with compact fluoros is the spiral/overlap is you lose nearly half the output due to shading, hence PL lights are more frequently used. Cost-wise, currently CF is cheaper than PL.

Archived