Canon Ixus 500

ZebraCat

Hi guys and gals, hoping that someone could help me out. I am having issues trying to get nice close up shots using my digital camera. Its a Canon Ixus 500, pretty much the same with the 400 and and i think V3 for those who have them.

lately i have been getting some batches of bristlenoses and i have them in a fry saver. trying to take pics of the egg/fry from top view is next to impossible, i only get blurry shots. i have tried turing the macro mode on and flash either on or off.

any help with this camera would be great.

set ur resolution to the highest setting... with "superfine" setting aswell..

also set it to the "flower" setting for close up shots...

hold the camera as steady as possible and shoot...

u won't need to get too close.. bcoz once u get the pic uploaded onto ur pc u can crop the photo.

sorry about the non-photographer jargon... Im no expert but that works fine for me smile.gif

cheers

Andrew

You'll find that with the macro settings, there are specific distance that the macro can handle, read your manual and see the minimum distance you should have your camera in the macro setting.

As NOGO4U said, set your camera on the highest resolution, and then take pics. You'll find that the image will be huge and should be able to crop to desires size.

When using macro, you'll need a steady hand also.

Hope this helps.

I find very good lighting makes a huge difference.

If possible, rig up a normal 100w desk lamp over the container (be very carefull DON'T DROP IT INTO THE WATER !) and then try.

edit: Also, try not using zoom.

have you tried to use a high f-stop like f8-f16 as it will give you better depth of field. turn off the flash and if possible sit the camera on something and put the self-timer on. this will stop the movement.

Couple of things to consider

When using macro mode any movement will significantly blur the image, do you have a tripod.

You need lots of light so that you can use a fast shutter speed. If the light source is off the camera you are less likely to get glare.

Autofocus can be a problem with glass/water interface, you will probably get better shots using manual focus.

Good Luck and lets see the results

Cheers

Brett

Thanks for the tiops, i didnt get to try it out yet as i went home that night and found that many of my babies had passed on for some reason, might have something to do with the water change i did. was too depressed to take pics. might try tonight if there are any left.

does anyone know if the fstop can be adjusted with my camera?

if you go into the manual mode then find the aperture priorty mode, set the aperture to f13 this is the max you can go with the telephoto.

Archived