Need some help with egg tumbling

Donbennie

hi guys i decided to strip eggs from my e.blue females, i put them in the DIY tumbler (same as the site) which is in the 4ft tank next to the heater cos it couldnt fit in the 2ft which is empty atm, airstone up the top, i left this setup for a few days and the eggs started to grow mouldy spikes, i guess thats not a good sign, now my question is that what did i do wrong, temp is at 26 C, i followed the DIY guide in the site, please help ppl, thx in advance

:(

i have the same prob at the moment. i am only guessing put i think i am not letting the eggs tumble fast enough. i dont how fast the eggs should be tumbling. Are they surposed to bounch on the bottom or just rock around a little? if some one who uses these tumblers could answer that question i think i would have morre success

josh and evelyn

I'm no expert at this, where's Anita and Kevin when you need them, the eggs should be just bouncing off the mesh in the bottom of the tumbler. Sometimes you need to split mouthfuls into several tumblers due to the sheer number of eggs trying to be moved by the air stone.

Try, if you can, setting up a few tumblers and put a few eggs in each. Have them all tumbling at different rates and see which work. The eggs need to be moving constantly for you to be successful.

Can someone with more experience tumbling shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

I have had to tumble Tropheus eggs a couple of times (female spat when being netted) and I use the SCP DIY tumbler. I just have them bouncing, a little, on the bottom. I have never had any fungus. small clutches though, maybe 6 or 7 eggs from memory.

I use an in-line air line 'tap'. this way i can adjust the current to get it just right. Also later when they start popping heads and tails the eggs get lighter so it is easy to adjust then too.

I have heard where different tumbling rates works better for different species.

oh I have the airstone about half way down the tube. but that probably depends on your air pump flow rate.

hth

Hi guys i've usually got a few tumblers going and in my experience the eggs need to be constantly on the move rotating just as they would in the mothers mouth making sure that it is not too violent as this can bruise and even damage the eggs. If they are fungusing they might not be fertile. I had some D. comps. that used to spawn with no males in the tank, I would have to strip them because they would hold eggs that had fungused. If they had been fertilised then adding some anti-fungus aids can also help, personally I use melafix, it works for me. By the way this method I have used with egg layers too! Most breeders I talk to look at me with shocked faces when I say this so if there is any others using it please add any comments maybe it's common practice elsewhere.

G'day Donbennie

I tumble eggs quite a bit. I have had over 70 eggs from saulosi in a tumbler without any problems. :D

You should have absolutely no problem with 30 odd Electric Blue eggs in a tumbler.

Melafix is great stuff by the way, I happily recommend it!

I tumble them so that they are going about 6-8 cm high. However be very careful they do not get stuck up at the top! Because this will equal death. :o

I also make the plastic section holding the eggs as long as possible (to try and stop the eggs from ending up at the top ).

Hope this helps

Archived