salousi in breeding net

mitch barlo

Guest Gutty

Not bashing at all Pdog, simply trying to explain that IMO stripping is usually unwarrented.

I'm curious as to why all these people so new to the hobby insist on stripping. blink.gif

I assume it's much like a dog licking his nuts........because he can. LOL.gif No other reason........

As i've said previous, natures way works fine atleast 95% of the time. So why get involved ?

I have seen fish injured in the past because some one that didn't really know what they were doing was told to strip the female. And insisted on doing so only to break the females jaw. Real good advice ey ??

Example of the point i'm trying to make:

you have to remember that saulosi have a pretty small mouth aswell, probably not the best fish to learn on

Josh

yeah, the salousi's are the only ones in my tank breeding, so i guess ill learn the hard way

Hard on Mitch or hard on the female ??

If you all want to keep stripping your females that's your decision, all i ask is that you atleast have a think about how "neccesary" it really is before doing so. thumb.gif

Lata

Matt smile.gif

Fair comment Matt and warranted. I just felt sorry for Mitch because he honestly didn't know what to do and stripped because he was advised it would be OK.

I do agree with you about the welfare of the fish. Everyone's top priority should after all be the welfare of their fish.

Jamie.

PS GO THE DRAGONS

What makes you think the mum would eat them ? If she was going to eat them why would she bother holding them in her mouth for weeks ?

the reason i thought she could eat them is for exactly that reason ..she has been holding them for weeks, and has had weeks without eating a thing..believe it or not when a fish has not eaten for weeks they are bound to be hungry..and when being enclosed in such a small place , like a breeding net , the only thing to eat would be her fry, i have heard it dose happen.

mitch

Guest Gutty

OK, sorry if i came off a bit harsh Mitch, i guess thats just my personality. I really don't mean to offend, just to get you thinking.

So please next time just have a think about how neccesary it really is. Is 20 fry really that much better than 17 if she did eat a few ?

At the end of the day, after you've grown them up for a couple of months, you might make an extra $5 because you stripped.

Also, consider putting a little food in the net with her, not alot, just a tiny pinch of flake. I often had mums spit, eat some food and take the kids back in.

Have a nice day and GO YOU MIGHTY SHARKS !! err um......i mean NSW

Matt

Hey Matt,

I can't believe you were heaping steamy ones on me for supporting the mighty Dragons when I live in the Sutho Shire. You live in Corrimal (ie St George Illawarra territory) and follow that other team!

I've got a feeling things are going to get interesting around here when the next Dragons vs Sharks game rolls around. Bring it on!! woot.gif

Jamie.

gutty- thanx for the advice, i will use it next time she is holding.

GO YOU MIGHTY SHARKS

GO THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!

jamie- dragons have no chance against the sharks..last time they played sharks weren't trying laugh.gif

Guest Gutty

Oh believe it Jamie....... LOL.gif

I lived in Cronulla for 30 years....only moved to Corrimal 18 months ago(damn shire house prices). Believe me when i say i cop heaps off the Saints fans down the Gong, including my brother. Keeps offering to buy me a Red V supporters pack......... mad.gif

I was born in St.George hospital though......... unsure.gifblush.gif

jamie- dragons have no chance against the sharks..last time they played sharks weren't trying 

Hey Mitch,

You're 100% right mate, they weren't trying. You see, that's the problem with the Sharks, they have no ticker!

Jamie.

Archived