mangrove jack

junek

hi

im thinking of getting a small mangrove jack. Id just like to know, would it be ok to raise it on a diet of no live food? i would be feeding it things like frozen bait, prawns, pellets ect... but no actual live food as this would make the fecies hit the fan in my house laugh.gif

so do you think it would be ok? will they even take frozen foods?

thanks

jamie

• 3 weeks later...

never give it any live food if you can help it. i dont think it serves much of a purpose and theres always the risk live food could have diseases. i had a small saratoga that was eating flake. all the nutrients are in prepared food.

pigeon... live food has alot of advantages... all it takes is a little common sense to ensure that there is no disease risk from them... and then proper care...

As for the mangrove jack on pellets... it should be no issue taking them... but frozen prawns, fish strips etc would be better... mangrove jacks have a really short digestive system as they are purely carnivores... so they need high protein contents and easily digestible form of the protein aka prawns/fishstrips etc (unless you want to use barra pellets with 50% protein 13% fat)

if you do want to use commercial barra pellets they come in a 25kg bag for ~$60-70

cheers

Jared

Archived