sexing Neolamprologus brichardi

Beardie

I have 5 brichardi in my 6x2x2, which i dont want to breed due to their aggression, therefore i will be trying to take out the females. They are around 4cm and i am pretty sure there are at least 2 males and 1 female, unsure about the other 2. Just wondering, besides the size difference, what else can i look for to sex them. Does the little black vertical stripe just near the gills have anything to do with it, or does this just develope with age. Any help would be great.

hi about sexing brichardi it can be very difficult just by looking. like most of the fish from the neolamprologus genus, venting is the best method there are afew site on the net about this. but...with my brichardi and pulchers, i find that the male will have slightly longer fin filaments and a slightly more pronounced hump on head. Another way would be to just put two in a tank for a few weeks and watch their behaviour, see if they pair up or just ignore each other, males will defend and area and the females will defend/dig out the cave.. the stripe thing is just an age thing, at 4 cm they should just have it, mine are about 10cm each but usually will breed at 5-6cm. Hope I helped.

Thanks, that helped heaps. Just in relation to the 5-6cm breeding size, is that the size of the male or female?

Thanks

Archived