L. ocellatus

Fins

Thanks again all.

Fixem, LOL.gif I don't think I will give up my day job just jet. This is purely for enjoyment.

Grace, I wouldn't have a clue. huh.gif Maybe someone with a bit more experience can sex them for us. I don't even know if they are of the same fish, they zip around so much, I'm just a snappin away as they fly past my camera ... laugh.gif

fins

First two pics are definite boys and the last two pics are definite girls.

Yeah I bought some wild caught 'gold occies' sent over by Air Fish and let me tell you that they were NOT gold. The gold occies, even my young, yellow/gold in color. I'll post some pics soon

Cheers.

Arj,

1. How do you sex them?

2. Are you saying these may NOT be "Gold"? If not, what would you think they be? ohmy.gif BTW, I remember the seller telling me somethin about these being the offspring of wild caughts from Air Fish.

Its quite easy to pic the males and females of gold, blue and silver stream congo ocellatus. The females have a cream/white edge on their dorsal and anal fin.

The fish came down as Wild caught gold occies but didn't look like it. It may be a variant/locality but the fish didn't come with a variant or locality either. There are two possibilities

1. These are very low quality fish and not wild caughts sent to us as no one here saw them until they arrived. I emailed Thomas and told him that he was misleading his customers as the fish he sent looked nothing like what was depicted on his website. I must re-iterate that Nigel did everything he could to help me and it was obviously not his doing.

2. These are the blue form as they have a lot of blue and silver in the body.

here are my pics of the wild caught fish

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Here are the pics of the other gold occies I have. You tell me the difference.

user posted image

Cheers.

Wait up... are you saying the pics you posting Arj are the blue form?? - ***EDIT*** doh! i didn't see the last picture! sorry - i'm a loser!

I can't even tell the difference between your photo and fins photos as far as being different forms AND they all look like gold occies to me - well look like the fish i have which i believe are gold occies. ***EDIT*** now i know the difference, i still fid it really hard to tell them apart! like on screen when they're next to eachother - yes - but in a shop - not a chance!

actually, on an occie topic (and a hijack, sorry), but my new girl is currently all fanning and protecting her shell - so i figues she's got eggs - as i believe i watched them spawn the other day. anyway, are the bistlenoses in her tank gonna cause a problem?

Grace

You HAVE to be very careful when you buy the shell dwellers. In Australia, there are:

1. Gold ocellatus - L ocellatus 'Gold'

2. Blue ocellatus - L ocellatus 'Blue'

3. Black ocellaus - L speciosus

4. L ocellatus 'Silver stream congo' - these guys have a blue/purple body & yellow fins

You don't want to mix them up. no2.gif

The first three pics are the fish that I bought as Wild caught Gold ocellatus. The last pic is the Gold ocellatus that I have. Hope that clears it up.

What do you mean you can't tell the difference. I can't tell the difference between my wild caught golds and fins's fish because they look the same but you certainly can tell the color difference between my other gold occie and the wild caught.

Cheers.

You HAVE to be very careful when you buy the shell dwellers. In Australia, there are:

1. Gold ocellatus - L ocellatus 'Gold'

2. Blue ocellatus - L ocellatus 'Blue'

3. Black ocellaus - L speciosus

4. L ocellatus 'Silver stream congo' - these guys have a blue/purple body & yellow fins

You don't want to mix them up. no2.gif

The first three pics are the fish that I bought as Wild caught Gold ocellatus. The last pic is the Gold ocellatus that I have. Hope that clears it up.

What do you mean you can't tell the difference. I can't tell the difference between my wild caught golds and fins's fish because they look the same but you certainly can tell the color difference between my other gold occie and the wild caught.

Cheers.

yeah, i can tell the differnce on screen. what i am saying is in a shop i doubt my ability to tell the difference in color without a reference

grace

Hey, is it just me or does Arj's wilds look identical to my pics? ohmy.gif

I guess that's very likely if they originated from Air Fish imports.

So, what now?

Arj,

next time you send a shipment up this way, could you throw in a few real "gold occies" for me? please, please, please rolleyes.gif The ones you have was what I was expecting mine to look like in the first place. dry.gif

Cool no problem. Would you like some black occis to go with that too? laugh.gifwoot.gif

Don't get rid of yours though. Most of mine died due to aggression and only have a female of that blood line. I would like to get some of the so called 'wild gold' fry off you later. They may be a blue so...I want to research it further. Please send me more pics of the fish if you can.

email me at chilli_powderATtelstra.com.

Cheers

No worries Arj,

I'll try my very best to keep them alive ohmy.gif They seem to be getting very agressive to each other. I already have one huddled up in the top corner of the tank. I think I will move her(?) out when I get home.

btw: re sexing, Do the females have the white edging at a very young age or only when they mature? I ask this because I have 1 or 2 much smaller than the rest, but without the white edging.

I'll get some more shots posted tonight.

Archived