Frontosa help

cyber_crimes

Hi guy's,

I am thinking about building a 10x3x3 concrete pond with 1/2" glass front to keep a large colony of frontosa.I have several questions that need answering before I proceed however.

1. FILTER: I was thinking of using this system seen here> FILTER INFO .

Also what filter material should I use? and what size pump?

2. HEAT: Roughly how much heat will be needed? I was thinking 3x 300watt heaters.

3. SUBSTRATE: Can I use no substrate at all,leaving the pond easier to keep clean? Or do they need a substrate in order to breed? (I read males excavate a pit)

4. CALCULATION: How can I find how many litres/gallons my pond will hold and how many fronnies I can house in it?

I would appreciate any help,comments,suggestions

& herby thank you in advance.

Regards John...

Finding the volume of the 10x3x3 is not hard. It's 300cmx90cmx90cm/1000. Which worked out to be 2430 litres and simply divide by 3.78 to obtain gallons. Therefore, three normal 300 watt heaters wouldn't do it unless you use three 300 watt Jager heaters. But at the moment, the 300 watt Jager heaters are not gaining a good reputation for their reliability.

Mark

Thanks guys,I really should have put more detailed information in my post,but

I am a bit undecisive about a few things at the moment lol.The pond was going to be on the rear outside wall of the house (outdoors).However after talking to a few family members in the building trade about building a gas heated fishroom I was then going to build this room around the pond incorporating the pond,a tap and a drain (indoors). BUT NOW I am contemplating sticking with tanks rather than the cement pond as the pond will be rather low,heavy and expensive.My idea was to keep 2 males and 10 females in the 10x3x3 but I think I will run two 6x2x2 tanks for them and house 1 male and 5 females in each.Sorry for any confusion,its hard to decide on what will be the best option,and thanks for putting up with my dribble...

Regards John

If you're going to have a heated fish room you could look at the option of an above ground pool.... I was in one of these above ground pool places up here in Brisbane the other day and they had this design that basically had ply sides with a lining... What I'd really want to do in have some sort of glass window replacing one of the sides... The pools were relatively cheap when compared to a tank and stand... worth a thought.

Archived