Alto calvus UPDATE :(

jordan71

mad.gif

okay i thought was too good to be true but she looked after the eggs for few days then she started to play with another boy what a tart heheehe

hi

okay my calvus have spwaned

few questions as i dont know what to do,they are in a 6x2x2 with other fish.

i been told it takes 10 days for the fry to appear out of the shell is that true??

do i take em out before the 10 day period?

what should i do?

any hellp would be great

cheers

jordan

LOL.gif

Hi Jordan,

Wait 8-10 days. If by then you are still certain they are still there,

there's a couple of methods you can try.

1) Remove the shell and put them in a tank by themselves. Chances are, you probably won't be able to get the female out of the shell, so take the shell with female inside.

2) Remove the fry(wrigglers) by pouring them into a floating fry container.

Put the shell back into the parent tank.

tips: if your system is not centralised -

have a spare mature sponge filter ready.

fill the fry tank with water from the parent tank.

live food for fry is the best.

good luck,

fins smile.gif

sory for hi jackin this post, ]

but what sins are showing that makes you say that your calvus is going to spawn?

cos i got a pir myself, females egg tube is really showing and i think mine are going to breed very soon as well. bt i am not quite sure what their behaviour is like before a spwan anyone can help me out?

** Taken from the 'old SCP site' rift lake forums**

Around day 9 or 10 you should start to see some fry starting to swim on the inside of the shell, pick up the shell without the female inside, cup side up so they don`t spill out and flush the shell over and over into a fry saver net. I use the green framed fry savers with the fine white net to raise N. cylindricus and other shell dwellers larvae.

Before flushing the shell, on the bottom of the net, place a couple of large flat shells, either scallop shells or abalone shells work well to prevent bristlenoses or other hungry night feeders sucking the young through the net as they sleep (it also stops pockets of air gathering under the net). Put an air stone in the net but have it on a low flow. Hope this helps

NeoLamp

Original post by NeoLamp

reposted by Other Ed

Its also been recomended that you put a lid over the frysaver.

HTH,

Ed. smile.gif

** Taken from the 'old SCP site' rift lake forums**

Around day 9 or 10 you should start to see some fry starting to swim on the inside of the shell, pick up the shell without the female inside, cup side up so they don`t spill out and flush the shell over and over into a fry saver net. I use the green framed fry savers with the fine white net to raise N. cylindricus and other shell dwellers larvae.

Before flushing the shell, on the bottom of the net, place a couple of large flat shells, either scallop shells or abalone shells work well to prevent bristlenoses or other hungry night feeders sucking the young through the net as they sleep (it also stops pockets of air gathering under the net). Put an air stone in the net but have it on a low flow. Hope this helps

NeoLamp

Original post by NeoLamp

reposted by Other Ed

Its also been recomended that you put a lid over the frysaver.

HTH,

Ed. smile.gif

thanks other ed

smile.gif

Guest Gutty
nono no,

i think you got me wrong , i am asking the behaviour before the spawn

uummm.........i think he was replying to Jordan. He did start the thread with his own question after all........ rolleyes.gif

Archived