Predator!

Fixem

I apologise for the quality of the pics but I just saw it and had to act quickly, just after I took these pics he hid behind a rock and stayed there so I was unable to get a clear shot.

Also I apologise to any who are offended, but that is what happens when you have smaller fish with predators, it's what they do.

A pair of N. Brichardi had fry they were guarding in a flower pot which they have been defending vigorously over the past few days, chasing away larger fish many times their size. Well I guess the male Brichardi got a bit too close to the Dimi's huge north and south! ohmy.gif !

For those who are interested the Dimi is about 15cm and the Brichadi (was) 6cm.

I was a bit later than usual for feeding time and I guess he got hungry wink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

laugh.gif

You ignored the golden rule with Malawi haps:

If it fits in their mouth, don't put it in the tank with them wink.gif

ahah thats awsome!

I remember when i had my dovii some of the fish i would feed him.

he was about 15 inches, and he ate a 6 inch goldfish and for a laugh a put in a massive 10 inch yabbie thingy.

The yabbie backed in to the corner with his massive claws waving and the dovii went in for the killer, but the claws brushed past his face. So the dovii swam back a bit and just layed there for a good half an hour just looking at the yabbie, i personally think the dovii was figuring out the best way to attack, then out of the blue *BAM* ut went straight in and grabbed his head. The claws where swinging for about 5 seconds then they spotted. The dovii spat him out and his head totally crushed, and the dovii didnt even eat him. I took out the yabbie and i could not break the shell it was so thick, i was so surprised.

I thought it was awesome when my JD did that to a guppy 1/2 his length the other day, except he got it from behind and it's head was hanging out twitching. awesome watching the JD & Texas hunt though

Did he eat it or just maul it? Cheers Andy

ohmy.gif He is still holding it in his mouth today! Now I don't know whether or not it is stuck.

He seems fine otherwise so i will just keep an eye on him before I interfere.

I have removed the blurry pics from my web page, but if you want to see a clearer pic check my web page http://members.optusnet.com.au/fixem

Hi guys,

hehe..cool!

I thought it was awesome when my JD did that to a guppy 1/2 his length the other day, except he got it from behind and it's head was hanging out twitching

finally got him aye jeff

wish it was that OB Peacock instead!

ahah thats awsome!

Come over here little brichardi.......come on.......CHOMP !!!

Poor thing.....gross guys...

merjo dry.gif

Poor thing.....gross guys...

Yes, you know what, merjo, you are right.

I feel bad about the whole episode now. sadsmiley02.gif

When I went to check this morning, as I was a bit concerned that the Brichardi may have been stuck in the Dimis mouth....... blink.gif I found him dead with the fish still in his mouth.

Not a good experience at all but others may learn from it.

Some comments may have been insensative.

My apologies to any who have been offended and I am not "gleefull" about it.

It was not premeditated murder though.

I wont be getting any other bigger fish for awhile now and will be more careful in future what species I put together.

Guest Gutty

D'oh !! thats no good fixem.

I was going to post about it getting stuck but didn't want to be a negative nelly.

In the pic below my male Jag is about 6" long and has a 3"(and fat) red zebra in it's mouth. I thought it was all fun and games at the time, though it would seem my jag has never been the same since. Will no longer eat and frozen block foods, has to wait for them to thaw out and eat the worms/shrimp one by one. Other than that he'll only take small(like small spectrum) pellets foods. And he's now over 7".

Check your PMs....

Lata

Matt

user posted image

I have a sleepy cod, so far the biggest he's managed is a 7cm blue acara, the cod is only 17-20cm and for three days after he never left the gravel, just sat still digesting.

It's not gross, or insensitive it's called a food chain

What happened to the pic's? I can't view them... You have me curious!

Cheers

Richard

Cool, thanks for that - didn't see the link. smile.gif

Nice selection of fish you have there, like the firemouth...I'm thinking of doing a planted tank one day with some firemouths, seen it done and it works well...

Cheers

Richard

Archived