Small calvus tank mates ?

Guest Gutty

G'day all, i'm moving my baby calvus(4 at about 3-4cm) out of my peacock/hap community into there own 4ft tank tomorrow. Just wondering what you guys and gals would reccomend as tank mates for my slow growing babies. I was thinking something small and fry producing to provide some fresh meat for the kids but this isn't really a priority, just a thought.

Or would you leave them all alone ?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Would some Neolamprologus multifasciatus be too agro ?(they'd only be a temporary tank mate due to their size). Or would some lelupi, cylindricus etc be a better option ?

Any thoughts.................anyone........?

thanks

Matt

1 or 2 multis would probably be ok IMO.

but if you had a colony, they can be down right mean towards tankmates. Once the colony established its territory.....the big (hehe) males would attack almost any fish that comes too close.

When I had my multi colony in my 55 gallon, I put 2 pretty small frontosa in there temporarily. The frontosa were probably 2 - 3 times larger then the largest multi, and the frontosa ended up with some torn fins from free swimming too close.

Cheers MulvaBeerChug.gif

I'm thinking they can stay by themselves until they are a bit bigger and can handle some play mates. The last thing i want is for them to be eaten/damaged.

Lata

Matt

if they are not "Tiny" then Cyp's...always Cyp's.

They are the best tankmates for any and all Tang shellies(while the Alto's are not strictly shellies, I am casting a wide net with the term, for the moment) and encourage a lot more activity from them.

If you can get some small Cyp's to grow with the Alto's, even better.

I am keeping Cyprichromis with my calvus and they get along really well. The calvus are only about 3 to 4cm and don't have a problem with the Cyprichromis swimming around the tank. The only time there is a problem is when the Cyprichromis stick their heads in the calvus's shell's. :)

For meals on fins .......... guppys thrive in the water conditions :8:

For tankmates to grow with then I think Cyps are the way :D

You could also grow some juvies of similar size like V.moori, N.caudopunctatus. N.multifasciatus and Cyps :rolleyes:

;) L2H

I thought a four foot tank was too small for cyprichromis species as they need a large open space to swim?

Anyway, I keep guppies in my tank with calvus that are 4cm and they seem to be enjoying their company. There is no aggression at all towards the guppies and the guppies produce fry every so often for the calvus to munch on. Its a great source of protein for the calvus.:^:

Cheers,

Huy

i have a congo black and a white calvus in my 125 display tank, they went in at a very very small size, the black was only maybe 1 cm, the white maybe1.5 they went in with fish averaging 1.5 to 2 inches, including N. brichardi, N. leleupi, Peacocks, cyps, L. occelatus, L. brevis (the male is near 3 inches), and some synondontis...the lil calvus sure can hold their own, everytime the grouchy brichardi would show off the calvus would just arch their sides towards the brichardi, i saw the dominant brichardi flat out attack the calvus and the calvus just arched its side and the brichardi bit it twice and then swam away, the calvus was unphased.

they are growing well and are doing just great.

if anyone is wondering...i know they can crossbreed, but i wont let them.

Archived