Which one is the most Preferred African Cichlid

fishly

Which one is the most prefereed African Cichlid?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I am new to cichlid, and currently I just got a new 5ft fish tank. I want to raise African cichlid, but not sure which one is the best one. I've done some research about the malawi and tangs :88:. But it makes me more confused which one is the best to be kept :).

If you can give your reason why you chose the answer would be much appreciated.

Regards,

:^:

Tony

tangs all the way ;)

Malawis might be brighter, more colourful, and more active........but to me the tangs have much more personality. It sounds a little funny to say, but I think Tangs are actually smarter. :lol:

Well I started off loving malawians. Because as mulva mentioned, they're great looking and colourful.

80% of my fish now are all tangs, definately more character, eventhough they're not as colourful as my saulosi, hongis, yellows etc I definately prefer my tropheus, calvus and julis over my malawians. Much, much more exciting to watch! :D

Seay

I'm still wrapped up in all the pretty colours ;) .........though i did recently buy some calvus/comps and have been thinking about getting some agro americans..............Malawis for me.

Fishly -

I'm not sure any of them are preferred or better. They are all different! My advice is start out wit some malawis or some central american cichlids. They are the hardier types.

HTH -

i have done the usual thing started with some allsorts than oscars, other amarivans then went to africans mallawiis, and now got almost all tangs. the colours are more varied, as is body shape, , Tangs have a bigger phylogenetic diversity. they are a lot more flexible in that its easier to have a community tank, with out the risk of impreeding and fighting. and they come from so many different biotypes. and yes they have heaps of character..

And what about RIVERINE African cichlids????? (That's what you meant by Central African Dave?)

Pelvicachromis, Hemichromis, Anomalochromis, Steatocranus, Tilapia ... the list goes on!!!

There are some FANTASTIC fish in that group.

Thanks everyone for your participation. Looks like tangs is the preferred one. But I still have 1 month to decide because I am cycling my new 5ft tank.

Is it hard to raise the tangs cichlid? is it because of the high PH?

ya, I would just take a look at the gallery here, or anyware on the net.

Maybe visit a couple stores and see what type you like.

I personally have never had a problem raising tangs. But YeW is definatly right about the Malawis being hardier fish.

And what about RIVERINE African cichlids????? (That's what you meant by Central African Dave?)

Pelvicachromis, Hemichromis, Anomalochromis, Steatocranus, Tilapia ... the list goes on!!!

There are some FANTASTIC fish in that group.

lol most of those fish are the biggest jerks they will fight and fight and a little more fighting those hemichchromis are nice but aggro fish indeed

but id have to go with malawis mainly peacocks and protomelas oh and my fav tangs are 5 bars and the alto/comps/clavs/

Ben gets on his soap box.

Malawi’s might be brighter, more colourful, and more active........

Come on Mulva, for a Tanganyikan buff, your being a bit harsh. :) :lol:

This is just one of many types of furcifer/foai that show extremely bright colour's. In fact show me an ugly feather fin cichlid. :D

Cyathopharynx%20%20furcifer%20Karilani%20Copper%20breeding%20male..jpg

And this fella, Download warning!

I don't think you can beat the attitude of a Tanganyikan cichlid. (IMO anyway) :lol:

Ben gets off soap box to give Nigel a turn. Where are you Nigel? :B

There is only one answer

Keep what you like, but like what you keep

If you don't like them you won't keep them right

BTW I don't see Madagascans in your list of African either ;)

Paratilapia polleni :8:

Basic black with silver spots and a gold head flush

Comes with Bonus Attitude :lol:

Do your research and find something that interested you :D

:B L2H

Archived