Green Terror posh eater

Barca888

In my 6fter my two full grown tiger oscars dominate the food. Every fish has to take precaution not to be bounced out of the aquarium. Most fish manage however my GT is a bit of a coward. He is hardly ever at the front always staying back and when he does get close and take a few staple he spits them out. When i feed my fish beef heart he takes a chunk and ponders over this piece of food for some time. I recently got larger staple and soaked them in water and he eats this like the beef heart. If i dont soak it he just spits it out and then takes it back in.

Is there anything out there my green terror will eat like theres no tomorow? Is this common behaviour for GT's or have i got a sisse dominate male (he was the leader in the pack of 30 or so 8cm GT's).

My GT is 20cm+ and the staple in questions is hikari gold and the green variety.

Thanks Peter

if it's possible, see what happens if you put soem insects or other live food in there, it should relly getthem all going no matter what sort of fish!

have you tried small fish or shrimp? Better alive but they should work OK dead too!

Just try all sorts of different stuff, they're bloody tough fish and are pretty hard to hurt food wise. If they dont like it they wont eat.

Of course the other option would be to just leave it and let it get soooo hungry that it'll eat anything. I'd try the other options first cause a happy fish is better than an unhappy fish but just see how you go,

good luck mate, Luke.

P.S. Careful not to feed your fishies too much meaty stuff like beef heart, moderations the key!

I have four smaller GT's - they do eat staples - but they love peas, which they don't touch unless I peel the skin off first - whereas the oscars eat them whole so I put in some of each - the Oscars scoff the whole peas and this leaves the GT's free to pick the skinned ones off the bottom.

If I boil up some bacon - cut into to fine pieces - the GT's go nuts for it - I do this rarely - but when I do the GT's make sure they get their share.

I find that the Oscar and Forest Jewel will snap up any insect I throw in there before the GT's know it's in the tank.

I use three different staples for variety. Normally, I mix a little of each for each feeding but sometimes I just use one to see who prefers what (I have just realised that all three are Wardley brand food). Cichlid Slow Sinking Crumbles, Total Tropical Gourmet Flakes (not much of this) and Betta Food. When I use the Betta food only - the GT's are the first to feed - the others don't seem interested as much. Same with the Forest Jewel and the flakes - the others ignore it. All three types attack the Cihclid crumbles with passion.

Not exactly scientific - but everyfish gets a mouthfull daily.

Hiding seems to be pretty normal for these guys - I have just re-arranged my tank with many more hiding places and the GT's take full advantage - slinking around the back a lot.

Having said all that my Gt's are White Saums not gold.

Best,

Barry

My young GT's are full of character, not shy at all. Especially at feeding time. Since mine are still relatively small, they get flakes, frozen foods, and occasionally small sized hikari pellets or HBH African Cichlid Attack. It depends how lazy I am when its feeding time and if I can be bothered opening more than one bag/box that day.

For yours to not be eating voraciously I would say it is in a constant state of fear? Perhaps the oscars and others have him so well whipped that he just doesnt try to get at any food which is clearly theirs.

Where does this fish sit in the overall heirarchy? You say the 2 oscars dominate, what else is in the tank to break their attentions away from constant beatings on the GT if it steps out of line?

Archived