Best Type...

wetfish

Im sure alot of u people have experiance with painting the rear of ur tanks. I had a few questions i wanted to ask to get the best finish.

spray paint or brush?? i imagine spray would give a better finish.

Gloss or semi gloss ???

What colour?? (names and brands of shades of blue used)

preperation of the glass, to get a proffesional finish ??

thanx

Wetfish

wink.gif

Wetfish,

The color is a personal choice. I have used black and green before but have come to the conclusion a blue is the best colour. Also if you know what color the fish will be pick a color that will make them stand out. As for spray or brush it doesnt matter as the spray paint looks better from the back of the tank but when you look throught the tank (from front to back) you wont be able to tell if it was sprayed or brushed. I usually just get the cheap blue spray packs from the reject/$2 shop and give it a good couple of coats have a look here and here to see the finish and color. I think it works out at about $2.50 a tin. I will just give the glass a good clean with glass cleaner, then leave it to dry well before painting it. If the tank has had somthing on it before it will need more preperation time Remember its easier to do heaps of fine coats then one heavy coats.

josh

hi Wetfish

a foam roller will give will give a pleasant ripple look finish. a brush can be an absolute pain,it will be very steaky, however this can be put to good use, if you brush 1st coat in colour of choice,let dry for recomended time, than bush a second coat in a lighter or darker shade of main colour, this gives a mottled colour finish.

clean the glass with metho, this will dry very quick and ya ready to paint.

but please use a water base paint in a flat finnish. this will reduce the amount of

reflections from inside the tank.

regards; colfish

Has any one experimented with other colour apart from blue or black??

To show off the fishes colour wouldnt white do the job the best ??

I think im going to stick with blue, only because i have seen pictures of lake malawi and into the distance the water has a blue colouration to it.

Wetfish unsure.gif

Archived