Freshwater toadfish

hph

Just bought a freshwater toadfish from the lfs today, couldn't resist as it looks exactly like the saltwater ones. Are they the same thing and had been acclimitised to freshwater ? unsure.gif

Wow... am I reading this right? Freshwater toad fish from a LFS? Which one??

As far as I know, commonly known as freshwater toad fish around the world are Halophryne sp. (Orange freshwater toadfish.. origin Brazil and they get to 40cm+!), Batrachoides sp. (again, another amazonian fish which get to some huge 2ft size!) or the dwarf of the lot, Thalassophryne spp. (also another South American fish which gets to about 15-20cm).

Are any of them now also in Australia?? ohmy.gif If they are, let me know which LFS it is? Some cool fish if they are what the name says they are!! (Some MORE illegal imports?)

dry.gif or maybe they are just the native bull-routs, Notesthes robusta?

The Australian one goes under Frogfish sort of like an ugly bristlenose wub.gif

They are actually brackish but can live in fresh water for quite some time

From my experiences with them they will only eat live foods as in small fish and invertebrates however some will take blackworms, earthworms and mealies..

Size is around 8-10" although a few ive seen were slightly larger..

Hph -

There are three species common around Sydney. One does indeed have a red tail. Hope you didnt pay too much for these guys tongue.gif

I'd recommend a brackish environment (my salt levels described above).... if they are in purely freshwater now I'd slowly adjust them back to brackish. I found at lower salinities they were more susceptible to variety of problems (esp. fin rot and ich!).

Just out of curiosity - what other tricks are there to keeping these fellas?

Even though they pick off my bait endlessly at various estuarine places around Sydney I have a soft spot for these little oddballs.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hi OziOscar,

I have found that the smaller the specimen, the easy it adapts to aquarium life. I kept mine in brackish water too....I didn't change over to fresh water as I have never seen them in the freshwater stretches of the river. They love prawn, mussels and squid....I also used to put some live mussels, that were still attached to rock, in there for them to "prey" upon. It was very cool to watch them open the shells with their powerful "beaks" rolleyes.gif .

merjo smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So of I caught one of those(as I usually do!), I could put it into a brackish tank? What size tank would be best? And how big do they grow? And last of all, could you put more then one together in a tank?

cheers, Luke.

Daft question: how to calculate the salt dosage for brackish?

Or do I have to take an SG reading at the spot where I catch them and add salt and relevant polutants to match make them feel at home? :D

Also, does anyone know of any pages written about these?

And last the legal bit: are they subject to catch size limits / methods? Will Fisheries eat someone alive for capturing these without the relevant permit (if needed)? I know there is a problem in VIC about this as a guy was ticketed and sent to court for releasing one too slowly (overzealous officer). How is it up here in NSW?

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hey,

Dont think there are any restrictions on puffers concerning size and numbers. They arent listed anywhere on the NSW fisheries site, o i guess u can take as many as you like. There are soo many around i doubt anyone would care, hence why ya see them dead on the jetty all the time.

you will require a fishing licence tho, you cant even net without one these days.

hmmm, you know, i never actually considered catching and keeping a toadfish or 2... What size tank would they require?

Archived