"Aqua One AR980" Curved Glass Tank

Fixem

ohmy.gif Hi to all,

Does anyone on the forum own one of these tanks?

I have an ongoing problem with the filter. This is the third time in less than 2 years that it has pumped 30% of the tank water onto the carpet. This only happens at night when we are sleeping laugh.gif

The first time it happened I sort of blamed myself because I figured I had not serviced it well enough.

After the second time, I found that the powerhead was spraying water out through the top and out the back of the cover, so got angry and took it off and replaced the whole filter system with a canister filter, which may well have ended this story.

About two months ago I bought another tank and needed the canister filter, so went back to the place where I had purchased the Aqua One tank. I spoke to the owner who said they had sold hundreds of these units and that I was the only one who seemed to have problems with the filtration and flooding dry.gif .

So, I cleaned the whole thing out and have been checking on it regularly and NO Problems. Two weeks ago I cleaned the motor and filter and all was fine.

This morning on the way to the kitchen I hit the "swamp" that used to be where my carpet was! A third of the tank was emptied out.

Sorry about the long story, but would really like to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks

ohmy.gif

Bugger!!! (this is a G rated Forum)

I dont own one of these tanks but my uncle does. Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't the filter drain by gravity? ie the motor sucks the water out then its filtered though sponge and whatever then 'drains' back into the tank?

You say the powerhead sprays the water out of the top and out the back......My uncles has a spray bar that runs 3/4 the leght of the filter and sprays the water down onto the fliter material. Unless this is miissing or not installed right I cant see how this would happen.

It the filter is filling up and over flowing, I would say that the flter has a blockage somewhere.

Josh

sadsmiley02.gif Yes Josh you are right. It defies logic. It should be just a simple process. the spray bar and everything works fine, I think I may have found the problem.

The seal of the powerhead must have a tiny rupture through which some water is escaping. This would not be a problem unless some blockage in the lift pipe occurs, this would then create more pressure and a spray of water to be squirted out, dry.gif Anywat thats my theory.

I have stuffed a sponge into the hole at the back of the hood and have cleaned all the pipes, impeller etc. I think the powerhead is faulty/damaged as NO water should be coming out the top of the motor casing.

Crumbs! They are good looking tanks and cost the price of three "normal ones" I would have expected to have less aggro from it and more pleasure laugh.gif

Thanks for your response, I will just have to see what happens next, worst scenario is I have to buy a new powerhead for it.

Regards

Jeff

some sort of failsafe would be nice

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one it has happened to.

In my case it is definately not overflow from the filter area, there is a definate problem with the powerhead. Of course, now it has stopped doing it so cannot find the exact place where the water is escaping.

Sort of like going to the dentist with a toothache and then when one gets there the ache is gone. blush.gif

Archived