J. transcriptus "gombe" breeding

Rol&Jas

I kept the gombes in a 4ft tank before with Ps. saulosis and they bred there a few times. I have bought a 2ftX18inchX18inch tank and separated a pair there. They have been there for 2 weeks now and did not see any breeding activities in there for my disappointment, while in the 4ft tank other gombes spawned. I wonder why? The water chemistry is the same, because I filled the water from the 4ft tank to the 2ft tank and even the crushed coral came from there. It looks like they shy out on their own or just like the others watching them :lol:

There are a few more variables for breeding requirement then purely those stated in your post. Pair dynamics being the largest variable I can think of.

You can have a male and female of any species but you cant just expect them to pair bond. Some species are picker then other where the choise of a partner is concerned.

Some central american/african species will never take other mate after properly pair bonding with a partner. Some however (including different locations) see no problem in being polygamous at all times.

A fish has to decide to pair with another, just chucking them together is a bad way of sorting out pairs. The most successful pair bonding usually is the result of multiple partner choise on both sexes sides. Cichlids seem very capable of choosing the correct partner "type" for thier requirements.

Id like to see someone just chuck random pairs of Discus together and come up with GOOD pair bonding. Im not saying it cant be done. But the probablilty of a good pair is SEVERLY lessened. Most results of breeding pairs that bond in a one on one situation rarely are successfull in the full breeding/raising department.

it works fine with me mate... :)

i had a male texas foe about 3 months and then i added a female with him.....he chased her for about a month and now they're happy family :)

also the jacks i had my female jack for about 6 months and then i added the male with her.... she chased him for a while and then after 2 weeks eggs is there and they spawned again but ate the babies after becoming free swimmers :wub...

so it's working fine with me....

the severums also i don't know if i have a male or a female green severums ....

i know i have a male gold severum but i'm not certain about the green !!!!!!..

the green is chasing the gold and they both have long fins though.....

hope it works with ya mate......

good luck

c ya

:^:

I dont think you can move 2 fish (hoping they are a pair) into a new tank and expect them to breed in 2 weeks.

You really have to give them some time to settle into their new surroundings, previously they were used to having other fish around, different rocks and landscape.

Also as saudukar pointed out is the pair dynamics, this bond may have to reform between the 2, provided you made sure you definately took the pait from the 4ft tank.

I would give it some more time and they should breed for you.

You could always add a group and wait for them to pair off, once they have paired off remove the rest of the fish from the tank leaving the pair to spawn.

Hi Dave,

I think you are right they need to acclimatise to their environment. First week I hardly seen them eating, but now they come out of their hiding when I throw food in there.

About the pair forming Guys, I originally took out the female that was guarding the fry in the 4ft tank. I wasn't 100 percent if I took the right male though. I moved the largest male with her, that I have seen spawning before. In the meantime another pair spawned in the 4ft tank. I took them out as well and added them to the 2ft tank. After that I was working on elimination basis. There were a pile of rocks at both ends of the tank. The largest male kept swinging between the 2 rock piles stirring the other fishes up, so he was the first one to be removed. 3 fishes remained about equal size, so it was impossible to tell the sexes. 2 kept together under one of the rock piles while the 3rd one tried to hide behind the filter, so I removed that one too.

I guess I just have to wait.

Archived