Quarantine tank

Serial-Cichlid

I've been getting a few new fish lately from different sources and noticed my fish are starting to rub against the gravel. I'd like to setup a quarantine tank for any new fish that I bring in or any fish that are looking ill in my current tank. Could I please get advice on the necessities for setting it up and approximate cost?

Cheers

Paul

Depending on what you want to do, and how big your fish are, it need not be expensive at all. All you need is 1'-2' bare tank, an internal filter that has been running in an established tank so it has the necessary bacteria, and a heater if necessary.

If you are medicating, you will not need the established bacteria, so just a tank, internal filter and heater (useful to speed up some parasites life cycle). Most medication will knock off the bacteria. This means that you will need to do frequent water changes as the tank will not be cycled.

Hi Serial -

Glad to hear you are getting a quarentine tank. It will be the single best move you ever make in aquarium keeping.

I think sponge filters are the best for quarentine tanks. Mainly because they are easily sanitised in the case of some nasty disease.

They are also very cheap and effective.

HTH -

Yes. Sponge filters are definitely the way to go. Put just enough substrate to cover the bottom, so the fish won't see their reflections, further stressing them out. Have one piece of cover for them as well. Remember not to transfer any rock, ornaments, or other cover from your quarantine tank, to your main tank, due to the threat of transferring nasties to your healthy population. I swear by these tanks, and always put new fish in one for a minimum of 1-2 weeks, before introducing them into the main tank. They are a "priceless" resource for serious fishkeeping. Best of luck to you:)

i have an 18inch tank set up for quarantine i set it up suddenly as one of my ish got bash all i did was transfer water from the main tank got an old undergravel lift tube quickly put a bunch of holes in it and wrapped most of it in filter wool from the old tank and also some new filter wool and just used elatics to hold the wool in place put my airstone in it and my quarantine tank was ready

one net one tank is something you should also consider, no use having a quarantine tank if you use the same net for all your tanks :wub

I find that a 2' is a good size, but having 3 or 4 running on a stand is better

The smaller the hospital tank the more control you have over the medication but be realistic in tanks size to fish size and qty

Also remember that filters and airline etc might have to be thrown out in some cases so don't reuse something worth a couple of dollars that could harbour pathogens

:) L2H

One other question guys....

If there are parasites in the tank, would my fish eat and behave normally (apart from the rubbing) still or is it something that will gradually change their normal behaviour?

Cheers

Paul

Archived