Where are all the Tangs disappearing too?

sicj

In 2018 I had to sell off all my tangs because of personal reasons.
Come 2023 I have found myself able to keep a rack again and have been looking to purchase a number of species which I used to keep.

I am finding it very difficult to find fish and seems that we may be losing fish as people lose interest in them.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Some of these fish include,

olavecious

tetracanthus

savoryi

variabilichromis moorii

just to name a few. 

Edited by sicj

• sicj changed the title to Where are all the Tangs disappearing too?

I'm in a very similar boat up in QLD.   I scaled back in 2016 with the arrival of my first child.   I've been only Tangs for 30+ years now.    Sad thing is the fish that I want I just can't get anymore :(  I had numerous variants of Cyathopharynx Foai, Xenotilapia, Cyprichromis and Eretmodus to name just a few.     I've been searching for foai for 2-3 years now and still don't have any!!  

I just wish there was a solution that as a community we could come up with. Life changes and people always move fish on and species are lost and as we all know, it is so hard to get in fish to Australia again. 

• Like 2

I've got the following Tangs:

Enantiopus Melanogenys Chituta Black Chin

Neolamprologus Similis

Cyathopharynx Furcifer Resha

Altolamprologus Calvus Chaitika

Cyprichromis Microlepidotus Sibwesa

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Kitumba

Xenotilapia Flavipinnis Lyamembe

Eretmodus Cyanostictus Kapampa

Have for sale all except calvus, gobies and micro's for anyone in the south east Qld area.     

Cheers,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree with Bruce's comment above.  I havee procrastinated for years about putting my breeding list up and I think it is time I bit the bullet.  The longer I AM in this hobby the more I have seen fish come and go.  This is not just the rare stuff, I think that many of us have taken the eye off the ballwith some of the basic fish.  Whatever the case I don't think that the shift of people over to Facebook hasn't helped people find each other.  I think i will bug my fish keeper friends to engage with the breeder's register.

• Like 3

It is a great idea to keep a breeders register so we can keep fish going in the hobby so we can enjoy and hopefully other hobbyists can also enjoy in the future as they enter the hobby and for generations into the future. 

• 2 months later...

Because of our unique situation with a "what you have you can keep but no more are coming in" policy we almost need a genetic library or home base to maintain many varieties and as mentioned in an earlier post even some of the less rare species have become rare or are now at risk of being lost...we just won't get them back which is a feeling that's getting worse and worse as more and more varieties of fish are lost from our hobby...breeders really need to help each other out and trade fish or help maintain fish because it's not about making money..it's about actually having a hobby to enjoy...on a good note some of the new rogue internet breeder sites do maintain some of these rarer guys so some of them are still out there but instead of forums being a meeting point like in the past, Facebook and the internet has scattered everything in different directions which is even worse for working together to maintain varieties..I'm personally trying to use the forums again because they are valuable when active...it's a question of how and where people choose to spend their time...

• Like 3