lamprologus ornatipinnis - breeding (Help)

MattG_Sydney

Good morning folks, 

My ornatipinnis have started breeding. The biggest issue is they seem to eat all their fry after a few weeks. They had a small batch of fry that were about 4 weeks have disappeared after they had a new batch of fry. My question is, what should I do to protect the fry? What others do? Any experience would be greatly appreciated.cheers M 

Edited by MattG_Sydney
Edit

• MattG_Sydney changed the title to lamprologus ornatipinnis - breeding (Help)
  • 2 months later...

Hi Matt,

I found the same with my lamprologus speciosus.  They became very aggressive towards the younger fry and would pick them off one by one to protect the new batch.   I ended up removing the fry as soon as I could catch them or trap the parents away from the shell and remove the whole shell.    Multi's/Similis can co- exist as one big group.    Maybe the ornatipinnis can't.  I'd agree with Bruce!

Cheers,
Jason

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Hi Matt,

I found the same with my lamprologus speciosus.  They became very aggressive towards the younger fry and would pick them off one by one to protect the new batch.   I ended up removing the fry as soon as I could catch them or trap the parents away from the shell and remove the whole shell.    Multi's/Similis can co- exist as one big group.    Maybe the ornatipinnis can't.  I'd agree with Bruce!

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Gents, Thank you for your replies. I have 3 batches now (1st batch only managed to save 4 and the second about 10). 1st lot I removed the fry and the second lot I removed the parents. Third batch is still with the adults. I will remove the adults soon (fry are only about week and half). I find them to be very aggressive towards their own. Even the adults kill each other (in a 3x3 tank) only had 7 of them. Now I have left with 4. Similis are much better ! They are all in the same tank .. 

I need to off load the first 4 now to make tank space .. I will keep you posted..

• Like 1