Tank mates - Neolamprologus similis

MattG_Sydney

Hey Folks,

Now I have my little Neolamprologus similis colony in a 3x3x2 tank, it seems like a bit of a waste of tank space. I like these guys and would like to keep breeding them. Is it possible to keep some other species such as Cyprichromis leptosoma in the same tank ? Would they be compatibles and possibly breed both in the same tank? 

Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

Cheers M 

Edited by MattG_Sydney

• MattG_Sydney changed the title to Tank mates - Neolamprologus similis

Thanks for that @Link2Hell 🙏

I was thinking about the same lines. Spoke to a breeder who keeps most of the Cyprichromis types including the Cyprichromis kitumba. Thinking about getting a few of them. Thanks again for your comment. 

Hi Matt,

Cyprichromis would be perfect for that size tank with your similis.   I have an adult Cyprichromis microlepidotus Sibwesa colony in with my similis.   They don't even bother each other and the similis are breeding like rabbits.    

Due to me trying to squeeze every last inch of tank space I also have furcifer and white calvus in the same tank.    I've have the end foot of the tank covered with shells and the similis just stay up there and everything else knows to not enter that area.   The similis are very quick to chase away a white calvus if they happen to venture a little too close.   

• Thanks 1

Hi Jason, 

Thanks very much for your reply. This is exactly what I wanted to hear 😊. As you said, I want to get the best use of the tank space available. 
The breeder I am in contact with at the moment said the same thing. Thanks again for getting back to me. All the best. 

• Like 1

By the way kitumba are a great choice.   They are my favourite cyprichromis :)     My colony have just started to produce good amounts of fry which I'm thinking about growing out into a colony of about 60.   Think that would look amazing in a larger tank.      

• Like 1

Thanks Jason. Plan is to start with about 20 and see how I go. I think they like big numbers. I would love some of those to put in my large display tank. But it’s a rimless tank with no cover. They are good jumpers so don’t want to take the risk. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have xenotilapia flavipinnis lyamembe in with my similis.     As long as you setup your tank correctly.    Give both fish space to inhabit.   I have the about 50 shells that take up about 1 foot of a 4 foot thank for the similis.   Rest of the tank is sand with a few rocks to break up the open sand and give room for separate males to occupy.    The xeno's never go into the similis area and vice versa.

Cheers,
Jason    

• Like 1