Territorial Fish.

Nick_Cimino

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the addition to the hobby I'm fairly new to it all but I'm loving it so far. Here's my problem. I'm running a 65 Litre tank stocked with two Electric Blue Rams (supposedly 1 male and 1 female thought I think they're both male) and three Female Tuxedo Koi Guppies.

My issue being one of my Rams won't let the guppies come anywhere near the bottom of the tank. I've replanted all my plants, moved decorations and I'm a lil stumped now. If this is also completely normal please let me know, I did plan on adding some Corydoras to the tank soon

It's been 3 weeks currently the first two she was extremely peaceful but is now very territorial to the guppies, she's fine with the other Ram. I'll attach photos for reference 

Thanks for the add!

20200630_124622.jpg

20200703_080311.jpg

20200629_111541.jpg

@Nick_Cimino  Hi and welcome to ACE  :raisehand:

nice tank mate

by the second pic it could be a pair as the top fish seems to have a rounder anal fin

and the lower fish appears to a male

it looks like it has staked out the hollow in the wood as his spot but as this is in the middle of the tank

he feels he owns everything in his vision

maybe try moving the wood to the left and it may keep him more to that side but still have symmetry with

the large rock where the wood sweeps up

because everything is in his field of vision he has developed a dislike for the guppies when he sees them

you could try some Anubia on the large rock or a large bunch of Vallisenaria to act as a blind but until the

plants grow out some more it is something you will most just have to leave them to sort things out and watch

as far as Corydoras you can try them but the substrate looks pretty coarse and may cause abrasions to the

barbels if you want to try look at one of the cheaper Corys like Bronze. Albino or Pepper

it's a never ending learning curve …….. enjoy

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the information @Link2Hell.

I'm planning on going to pick up a few Corydora's tonight and add some additional plants to see if I can create some blind spots, I've contacted the local fish store I purchased the Rams from and they've informed me I could return the fish if aggression doesn't end.

At the end of the day, I'd like a peaceful tank were all of my fish can Co-exist. 

One thing I've noticed whenever my Aggressive Ram enters the Mid to the top section of the tank the aggression is gone, so I believe you're right about him marking the wood as his territory. 
Do you think this is worth the effort or in the long run this will most likely be an aggressive fish?
Warm Regards,

Hi Nick

depends how much you like the fish if you think the effort is worth it

people often think because the fish is small it doesn't have an attitude

they are not that different to humans  :smile:

the attitude could be tempered with the use of plants in his case and

lines of vision to create a canopy over him but leave room for the fish

that use the upper level

if it is just the electric blue colour you are after look at Praecox rainbow fish