Pseutropheus sp Polit colour

FREAQ

I was told the males only get the bright blue colour for a day or two when breeding and the rest of the time they are a fairly boring duller colouring.

Was this person right or was I being led up the garden path so to speak?

You should have dropped some bread crumbs to follow back. wink.gif

My dominant boy is always this colour.

user posted image

You can see there is really little difference between the sub dominant boy, pictured below, and the dominant boy, pictured above. I have found that the bars are the really only difference.

user posted image

My sub dominant boy WAS as your friend described but he use to colour up several times an hour when he found the guts and then would go and hide's again. The "fairly boring duller colouring" is only when they are young. Adult fish look almost the same. Really the only difference is which boy has the bigger rock and who has more pronoun bars. Here is a picture of my dominant and sub dominant boys when they were young. Here you can see the colour your friend was talking about. They are about 12 months old in this picture.

user posted image

HTH.

You may find this article of interest also.

Cheers

Thanks for that was pretty sure that he was wrong just wanted to make sure and not go and buy some fish which really arent that good but now I want some even more just need another tank to put them in.

Hi all, My Polits,i have 8, 4-from Ben,4-from Anita, they took a long time to grow.I had 1 x male that took off 9cm, not good colour.2 x m real dull, then my smallest male started to colour up. He is still only 6cm but the best colour by far.Girl's x 4 are slow to reach 5cm, that's my biggest.Other's from 3.5 to 4cm. They have not breed !!!!!!!! I've taken boys out, put one, then 2 back, water changes, lifted the temp, etc etc Any clues????? At the moment i have best boy and girls only together, giving extra spirulina stick and flake,brine srimp once week, Tips pls John blink.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Archived