Isopropyl Alcohol

E4G13M4N

it is used in offset printing.i thought of that too but was told it could break down silicone.i didnt bother with it so i dont actually know.its good for cleaning the powder from brake pads on a car though,it doesnt affect the brake pad.

We use it (99.9% pure) in our cleanroom applications at work.

Hate to tell you, but it's not a very efficient biological agent.

If you would like to kill a larger majority of beasties, make a 5% solution of chlorine bleach and thoroughly wash then rinse all surfaces with it.

Please be careful - more 'bleach' products these days include sodium hypochlorite. That would need extensive cleansing after use - it's very reactive and hangs around. You could either rise a few times, very well, or make a solution of baking soda (a few percent) and wash with that afterwards and then a couple of good rinses.

In all cases, if you're in biological warfare, dry the items in question in the sun for a while. Nothing like a good dose of UV rays to knock off most bugs.

Cheers - OziOscar.

AFAIK, chlorine bleach is sodium hypochloride; you can neutralise it by using the usual chlorine neutraliser, to be safe, at twice the usual dosage. I use it to clean plants before putting into my tanks to get rid of algae and snails and to clean out tanks.

Thanks for the replies a freind had it suggested by a vet so i just wanted other peoples opinions.. ;)

I hope the vet isn't using it for sterilisation... Isopropyl alchohol is actually not a good disinfectant, and should not be used as such.

Doubtful against bacterial... but regarding protozoal... It must all be relative. I know if I was that size and immersed into a bath of isopropyl alcohol, I'd be out cold pretty darn quick!! :lol: :lol:

Adam

i use a solution of equal parts of 100% alcohol and distillied water in the quarantine room. I use it in a spray bottle then let everything dry for at least 24 hours. This method has been approved by AQIS.

Nigel

Hi Guys -

70% ethanol is the go it is a very useful disinfectant.

If you are prepared to rinse it well - then plain old garden variety bleach is EXTREMELY effective (more so IMHO) than ethanol based products.

HTH -

Have to agree do not use 100% iso not that effective.. in the biological hazards room at uni 70%ethanol is the go as they get it really cheap, but it is highly fammable so be carefull when storing etc. 100% ethanol is not used as it "sets" the bacteria instead of destroying the cell walls. I myself use bleach and I use it strait. bleach or sodium hyperchlorite is very effective at killing everything including viruses, ( its used to sterilize needles if you are desperate, it kills AIDS!!!) It kills pathogens at a molecular level breaking down DNA and RNA, Do not get it on your hands!!! it does nasty stuff, i wash all my tanks rocks etc in it.

To use i first wash to remove any crap

1. Then spray ($2 sprayer from woolworths well labeled)on all surfaces

2. rinse

3. reapply

4. then rinse very well, until there is only a very faint smell, and the water no

longer foams, ( at this stage it is sterile! and clean.)

5. leave to dry in sun

6. rinse again really well

7. ready to use

If using to treat the substrate it can be next to impossible to rinse enough to completely remove. As mentioned i used chlorine neutraliser at about double dose!

have fun!! :D

I myself use bleach and I use it strait. bleach or sodium hyperchlorite is very effective at killing everything including viruses, ( its used to sterilize needles if you are desperate, it kills AIDS!!!) It kills pathogens at a molecular level breaking down DNA and RNA, Do not get it on your hands!!! it does nasty stuff, i wash all my tanks rocks etc in it.

It is definitely not a good idea to try an sterilise a needle (besides using an autoclave, but there are still questionmarks on prions) with bleach; you need to flush the lumen, and bleach is highly corrosive. If I need to use bleach through a needle, I toss that needle out single use as the corrosion sets in within a couple of hours.

FWIW, HIV (and not AIDS) is not that robust a virus; I think the standard is still the Heb B virus as far as testing for effectiveness goes.

But for aquarium purposes, I think bleach is excellent, as I can't see anyone putting their tanks through an autoclave (even if the silicon survives...).

trofius, whilst i agree with you that bleach provides a simple and ready means of sterilizing your tanks/equipment, i think i'd like to again echo some of PHL's comments here and suggest that it is a little irresponsible to promote the reuse of "cleaned" needles. I understand that it was just a small thow-away comment you made but i think anyone who reads this thread should be made aware that the re-use of needles is not a good practice. Sorry for being pedantic, but something else i'd like to clarify from your post is this: AIDS (Aquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) is not a virus. AIDS is what you are likely to develop should you become infected with HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). It is HIV you would be trying to kill when sterilizing, not AIDS.

cheers

VC

thanks for the comments on HIV and AIDS and the difference and all about needles etc etc..bla . but seriosly i saw it in a hospital on a poster for iv drug users a few yeas back, rise twice in bleach and then twice in water....? think it was more for imediate use (sharing needles etc) not to clean and store. although yes i too agree why clean a needle when they only cost like 10cents? or free in some cases. but why use then at all???

Yes HIV is an easily destroyed retro virus compared to the very little hep B ( a hepadnavirus) which is much more stable due to its structure of partially double stranded circular DNA, and its protective envelope.

and as for prions, as they are just mis folded protiens they should easily be destroyed by bleach, for everyone else out there all you need to know is that prions can cause very rare diseases such as mad cow disease, kuru, CJD etc. , 4 years biomed, I was just keeping it simple for the masses!

as for prions, as they are just mis folded protiens they should easily be destroyed by bleach, for everyone else out there all you need to know is that prions can cause very rare diseases such as mad cow disease, kuru, CJD etc. , 4 years biomed, I was just keeping it simple for the masses!

The latest directive regarding prions is that if you suspect prions, the equipment is deemed not sterilisable, even by autoclaving, and must be disposed of. This came out after the CJD scare, and gave rise to a huge debate as to what constitutes nerve tissue (as we would have had to destroy very expensive bits after every procedure).

Archived