Marinepure - Correct install method in a sump

mjoconr

Hi All

Been thinking of adding some Marinepure to my sump as the No3 levels are higher than I would like with a 200L water change each week (out of 600L).

I added macropure and the levels dropped nicely but this needs to be reset every month or two.

So on to my question, should Marinepure be placed so that the water volume is push though or over it or should it simple be sitting on the bottom of the sump with water running over it ?

The website for Cermedia has this note at http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-technical.php

'MarinePure's thick blocks are designed to be used in passive systems to control Nitrates (like live rock). If used in active systems they will eliminate ammonia and nitrites (nitrification).'

Does this mean that if I push a good amount of water though the block it will reduce the nitrites ?

Thanks

mmm so still not 100% sure of things but I think to get full avantage of the media in any of its forms the best is for water to be going though it and around it (Active). This video seems to say that the round media is best as it does not block up as much when used in a active or forced water setup.

I don't think you will get the results you are wanting from Marinepure, to be honest you will be spending a lot of money with little result. What do you currently have media wise in your sump?

All the normal stuff, pads, matrix, the issue is not the process of converting NH3/4+ to NO2 to NO3. It's the amount of NO3 requiring more than once a week water changes.

Marinepure should after a number of months be able to reduce the NO3 levels at least, that is if installed correctly.

There seems to be a lot of people who are very happy with its effect.

We have chloramine in our water which means water changes have a significantly reduced effect.

I hope it works for you but my marine pure block has produced very minimal results after a year, there is a lot of hype around marine pure which I think is unfounded, have you considered carbon dosing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bag of the marine pure balls in the last chamber of my sump. 

I got a bag (2L?) on impulse when at an LFS, figured i'd just leave it in the last chamber of my sump so when I wen to cycle another tank I could just grab the bag out and use this as a seeding media. I couldn't tell you if it is doing what it claims as I have have an incredible amount of media in my sump, and do large scale water changes weekly. Impossible to say what is decreasing my nitrates whether its the media or the WC's.

I wouldn't believe the hype personally.

Archived