Convicts are slowly eating away :( please help!

WannaBreed

Hi everyone and happy new year. I have a two very sore looking and ill white convicts. I have attached a photo of my female. You can see the sore on her fin/spine. They start off as small little red sores almost like shes bled under the skin then it just eats a little patch of her flesh away. It has spread virtually all over her whole body :( also my male now has it too. She still eats. But hides a lot. She and the male only just had there first fry too :( please help me guys as ive tried researching diagnosis and treatments and i cant even figure out what it is. I will upload another photo in a minute so you can see how bad its gotten. Oh the fry are fine by the way. Healthy as.

There are pinned discussions on ace about gram negative bacterial issues,,, as most common is the issue, and certainly sounds like yours.

Keep your water change regime as per normal,,, but the day before you next water change test for nitrate readings.

If your filters are usually full of decomposing matter it fuels fast nitrate climbs as well as feeding and creating a perfect breeding ground for gram negative bacteria.

Your substrate can also hold decomposing matter in mass causing same issues.

You need to aleaviate these if they are the way I mentioned,,, by doing this your stopping the cause of disease.

You then need to treat with dimetridazole or metrodizinole (antibiotics),, to get them healing up again and beat the flesh rotting menace.

All this of course only if you think youve identified the issue as being above........

Hi Wannabred welcome to ACE

don't take this the wrong way but ..... my water parameters are perfect isn't

the statement you post when you have a problem with your tank

you need to list pH, hardness ammonia nitrate and nitrite readings

tanks size, filtration and tank maintenance schedule

water conditions can start the problem and then you generally get a secondary

problem develop

pics would help also

little red sores could be viral, ulcers or haemorrhaging and the note that it is

eating the flesh seems to sound like a ulcer that could be viral induced

Archived