melafix for common pleco

novafishy

Guest Gutty

Hhmmmmm, i've used Melafix in a tank with bristlenose in it before.......many times....... unsure.gif

Maybe use a half dose ??

If the fins are just torn and no sign of fungus or infection, why use any medication at all ?????? Most injuries like torn fins need no treatment at all !! Keep a close eye on it, and unless fungus appears, or redness, or the spines go white, just leave it. I have had plecoes really beat up and bashed by other pleco recover with no treatment at all.

More fish are killed by the treatment than by the ailment in my experience.

Alan

I've also used "Alternafix" on tanks with bristlenose cats with no ill effects.

I make it up myself (According to a slightly modified Lloyd Iamguiness recipe).

To make Alternafix add 1ml shaken tea tree oil (buy from a chemist/woolies) to 100ml of water (

Add 5ml of your Alternafix stock solution to every 40 litres of tank water.

Alternafix (like Melafix) is an antifungal/antibacterial medication and can be used on wounded fish etc to speed healing biggrin.gif!

As an aside, fin rot is NORMALLY a problem associated with poor water chem. Although I know of some very experienced (and dilligent) fish keepers who've had problems with nasty forms of this that appear to be independant of water quality issues. I also agree with Alan... if it is only fins and not the body itself, I wouldnt bother.

HTH -

thanks for the replies guys,

yeh my common pleco doesnt have fin rot, its just fins which are torn at the tips.

they are slowly healing back tho, which is a great sign!

what does WHITE at the tip of the fins mean, alan?

I've also used "Alternafix" on tanks with bristlenose cats with no ill effects.

I make it up myself (According to a slightly modified Lloyd Iamguiness recipe).

To make Alternafix add 1ml shaken tea tree oil (buy from a chemist/woolies) to 100ml of water (

Add 5ml of your Alternafix stock solution to every 40 litres of tank water.

Alternafix (like Melafix) is an antifungal/antibacterial medication and can be used on wounded fish etc to speed healing biggrin.gif!

As an aside, fin rot is NORMALLY a problem associated with poor water chem. Although I know of some very experienced (and dilligent) fish keepers who've had problems with nasty forms of this that appear to be independant of water quality issues. I also agree with Alan... if it is only fins and not the body itself, I wouldnt bother.

HTH -

Thanks on the "Alternafix". I've got a bottle of 100% tea tree oil that i'm not using and not i know it can be used for aquarium!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey David,

That's a great tip. It should be pinned somewhere.

Also, according to my calculations, that works out to be 1 drop of PURE Tea Tree Oil per 40 litres of tank water.

I'm assuming 20drops = 1ml

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (before I dose my tank blush.gif ).

fins

Archived