DIY Vinegar Eels

aymenz

hey guys.....

did anyone try this DIY ?

can you please tell me what am i doing wrong in my method !!!!

i using a glass container, with about 15% apple cider vinegar and 10% water..... and a piece of apple....

i covered it with it's lids (the glass container) and made some holes for the air to come in and out.....

is there anything wrong with this ????????

please help......

thx in adv.

c ya

:^:

Hey,

The wrong thing you are doing is adding the water... I just fill mine up full with apple cidar vinegar and put in a slice of apple then add the culture.

tell me how it goes. If you need another starter culture i got some for free.

cheers

Richard

Aymenz -

What's the other 75%?

A couple of points:

*be sure to use dechlorinated water.

*be sure to use apple cider vinegar with no preservatives.

Other than that - should be easy :8.

thx guys...

well i only put this much of apple cider vinegar and apple because the container is too large :8

and i use water with chlorine :o

should i use a smaller container ???? and use water ager to eliminate the chlorine.... ?????

i also heard that the metal lid kills the culture is this true ????

should i cover it with cotton ?????

and richard what is a starter culture ?????? do u need this to get worms ????/

because i don't have a starter culture in the 1st place....

will it work without one ????

thx in adv.

c ya

:^:

G'day aymenz

Yes you do need to get a culture of these worms! :)

I have lots of cultures of these vinegar eels going atm. Here is my recipe.

Purchase applecider vinegar. Pour 1/3 into another container and another third into another container. (Now you have 3 containers all 1/3 full.) 2 liter plastic bottles work well.

Next get some tank water and fill each of the containers until they are 2/3 full.

Add red apple slices, do not add a lot of apple. Just a thin slice or two will be just fine.

Then add starter culture. (This is otherwise known as a culture from someone else. All it contains are some worms and these will grow and become your culture)

Keep in a cool location in the house, I keep mine under the staircase.

Goodluck

Guest big bad burundi

I have 2 x 5litre jars full of them,i dont even feed them at the moment been slack have negleted them for months. :o

but they are still thriving all i do is change the cider every so often. :)

I recently got myself a starter culture of Vinegar Eelworms and everything is going well. I just wanted to clarify a few points from those people that keep these things.

What is your method of extracting these worms ?

How often do you change the culture medium ?

thanks in advance

Daniel

Guest big bad burundi

one way is using a scourer ,just place in jar for a while worms get in the material.Then all need do is dip in tank you wish to feed em,or in a container with water first what ever. :8:

G'day Daniel

To extract the worms from the applecider vinegar cultures. This is the method I use. :D

I use an old long neck style bottle (I bought mine in Coles, they were selling vinegar in them, balsamic and white wine). The neck needs to be the same width, the longer the better.

Get some filterwool, wrap some fishingline around it and makes sure it fits into the neck of the bottle, not too tightly. Now the fishingline is used to take the filterwool out of the bottle neck when required.

Next pour the culture into the base of the bottle (Just upto where the neck starts)

Push the filterwool into the bottle to the level of the culture below.

Next add tank water to the top of the bottleneck.

The worms need oxygen to survive so they swim through the filterwool to get to the oxygen rich water above. The culture medium does not pass through.

Next just remove the water and worms from above the filterwool. You can use a turkey baister or a syringe. Then just feed them to you fish.

I usually do this at night and the next day I have millions of worms to feed the next day.

So far I have not had to change the applecider vinegar yet, and they have been going for over 18 months now.

The worms are very small probably only 4mm long (if that), but there are LOTS of them and the fry love them.

Hope this helps ;)

Archived