I got me 6x2x2

Josh

rolleyes.gif

I got myself a 6x2x2, with mini-reef (pick up Sunday) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . I can finally buy my Tropheus hug.gif . I have been after these fish for a while and now have the chance to join the Tropheus family... hhhmmmmm 2 days with no sleep thinking about my new tank and my new fish. I am hoping to get some Tropheus moorii nkonde yellow. Does any one know where to buy that fine crush quartz, I am thinking of using it for substrate

I will post up some pictures when they when its all setup.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif woohooo thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh

Welcome to the Tropheus family!

How many Tropheus were you planning to get? Only the one species? I heard that Jim has some Tropheus Nkonde Yellow fry for sale so be quick and get them while he still has them!

Send us a pic of your setup when you get it up and running!

BEST OF LUCK!

Dave

I forgot!

I saw some of the substrate you were looking for at Auburn aquarium. Have you considered fine grade coral sand? I know it is expensive for a 6 footer, but maybe you can place a fine layer over the crushed quartz.

Dave

Josh,

Congrats on the purchase thumbsupsmileyanim.gif , I am SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous not just about the tank size but the tropheus as well. I look forward so seeing the pics. I have to believe that one day I'll be in the same boat.

enjoy the new tank and fish

cheers

PR thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

MoliroMan

I have contacted Jim about the nkonde's and will be headed his way as soon as I can get there. I saw that crushed quzrtz at auburn and it about 25$ for 5kg's I think. A bit to rich for me. I will try the place at lakemba. I am only going to get 10-15 tropheus in the tank at the moment and will only be getting the species, but will add more tangs. probably some Cyprichromis leptosoma. I havent looked into their compatibilty yet. I will have plenty of space so we will have a look around

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh

10 red devils would love a 6x2x2 lol .......joke.....

Goodluck with it mate, i got a 6x2x2 and i need something bigger.....then ill want somethin even bigger........never ends lol.

most large landscapers stock it and for $8 for 20 kg you cant beat it looks really good in the tank too , i had A1quartzt crushed.

cheers

thanks sarah

I have been around to a few today but most were closed. I should be able to get it somewhere

Josh

Hi Josh!

I nearly bought those Nkonde from Jim, but unfortunately don't have enough tanks to accomodate one species only Tropheus! You should try to get at least 15, 20-30 would be even better! They will look lonely at the 3cm size if u only had 10.

I have kept leptosomas, oscellatus and julidochromis with my Tropheus with no problems. Tropheus tend to attack their own kind so u don't need to worry about aggression. But i guess the osce and juli will be deprived of protein in their diets. As i said i fed them all spirulina and the leptosomas even bred for me!

Enjoy and make sure you don't rush and throw those Tropheus in before your tank is well cycled.

Dave

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info Dave,

I am learning to be patient. The tank wont be running until next weekend. I have contacted jim and he will hold the fish for me for 3 weeks........So now its just a waiting game. I am hoping to go see them this week sometime

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

thanks jamie. Yeh I went up and had a look last week. Totally amazing. I got ten coming when the tank is cycled properly. Thanks Jim for holding them for me.

Hey Josh!

Saw a colony of 5 Nkonde yellows in Auburn aquarium for $550!!! One male was already coloured up and looked amazing! Imagine how much your colony will be worth once u get them to mature size!

Dave

ohmy.gif

$550. I tell the wife that will make her happy that I got them cheap. I am hoping to get them next week so stay tuned for some photos.

Josh

wink.gif

slotha,

They are maingano's not johanni's. This is the reason they get crossbred. these arent that agro and the male and females stay this color

Joss

wink.gif

slotha,

They are maingano's not johanni's. This is the reason they get crossbred. these arent that agro and the male and females stay this color

Josh

yeh, joss has kindly identified the fish for me already...and they are maingano's, i also asked the shop i bought it from, joss i do think that they are very aggressive my big male one is constantly chasing everyone else around the tank, and has already murdered the other male i had... sadsmiley02.gif i do think though that it has alot to do with the number of fish i have in my tank... if i had more he would be less dominant...do you know if they come in any other colours???

biggrin.gif

As a great man once said "they come in any color you want" as long as its black with blue stripes. lol. I had 10 in my colony and there were no problems with aggression.

Josh

Archived