Whats killing my Rustys

BM80

Hi,

Just curiuos to see if anyone has any ideas why my Rustys keep dropping off.

I had 4 in my tank, (2m, 2f) and now im only left with one. I have 4 other species i the tank and i havent had any problems with them.

There hasnt semmed to be any signs of agression and the last one to die was a female with a mouthfull (had been holding for about 12 days ) and still had the mouthfull when i found her dead.

I got these fish from a friend who has no idea what is going on with them.

I am relatively new to keeping cichlids, so i am a little worried that im doing something wrong. If any one has any ideas it would be helpful.

Cheers

Ben

Ben -

Have you tested your water? Most often that is the cause of problems.

Can you tell us the:

pH

Ammonia?

Nitrite?

The last two are particularly important.

Also... How often do you change your water? How much do you change? Do you use a water ager?

HTH -

YeW,

I change the water every 7 - 10 days and i remove about 1/3 of the water from the tank. And i use water ager for every water change.

I have had the water tested after each fish has died and there seems to be no problems there.

I was just mainly concerned that ONLY my Rustys were dying and none of the other species.

Cheers Ben

Hi,

Are the rusties a new arrival? Sometimes the other fish can acclimatise over a period of time to "bad" conditions if they occur gradually. However, if the rusties came from a tank with vastly different/better water conditions they would be affected, whereas the other have grown used to it. Just a thought. Try testing for nitrates and phosphates.

merjo

Hi. Always start with your water. The majority of kill off problems start there. unless your keeping obvious miss-matches such as piranha, and guppies. Make sure you check your water parameters at least weekly, and keep a close eye on your fishes activity. This will pay huge dividends in the future. Sorry for your loss, and good luck finding the problem.

Archived