Bristlenose have spawned!

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

This is my first BN spawn :D , doing a water change last night, decided to lift the little fella's cave to see what he was doing and found around 20-30 eggs... ;)

If I disturb them again to get a better look will he freak out and not guard them again?

How do I know when to pull the eggs out and place in a neutral conditioned tank? (they're in a cichlid tank with corresponding water parameters)

How low can the temperature go before the eggs will die? I will try to heat the water however I have to setup a new tank and I haven't tested my spare heaters in ages...

Thanks in advance for any help - much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Hey Richard,

Congrats on the eggs mate!

I dont think you should disturb the male any more, also you can either wait till they are free swimming and let them run around the tank or take put the cave they are in and put it in their own tank.

cheers

Richard

Richard, you didn't say what sort of cichlids, but regardless whether Africans or Americans they will eat the baby bristle nose as soon as the little guys venture out of thier cave.

Ancistrus eggs are fairly easy to hatch artificially, I just hatched about 700 odd away from the father. I think just about every female in that colony spawned with the one large male (all the other guys dipped out).

Just move the cave with eggs attatched to a hatching tank with a few inches of water from the breeding tank and add about 3 drops per liter of methyline blue. Same proceedure you use with cichlid eggs .

If you leave the eggs to hatch with thier father, chances are you will lose a few fry trying to move them.

Alan.

Thanks for the replys, ;) much appreciated!

I'll remove the eggs to a hatching tank, I heard that BN fry need neutral water as opposed to hard alkaline water, should that be something I take into account with the hatching tank?

The fish are 5-6 CM.

They're in with one large male peacock (hospital / isolation tank as well as BN breeding)

Forgot to mention in last post, thanks to Hungsta (hopefully he see's this ;):) for the advice on feeding, I started feeding heaps of Zucchini a few weeks ago and now the spawn.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Alan,

As I read in another post - it seems you're a bit of a BN guru, 700 eggs, wow! :o

I moved the fry last night to the hatching tank, they have egg sacks...looks like I shifted them just in time.

Do BN fry eat zucchini, or do they need finer (smaller) foods such as algae?

Cheers

Richard

Cool! :8

Thanks for the replys.

Their still going on their eggsacs.

It's funny - everything that can breed for me at the moment (have males and females) is breeding for me...

As they say when it rains it pours... :(

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Another tip, pop a snail or two (mystry snails are easier to control if you have some) in the fry tank when they start feeding. Be a few days yet tho, thins lices of boiled zuchini is the go, easy and works.

They wont start feeding till they colour up and start roaming around the tank.

Why the snail ??? well, the babies will browse on the snail droppings, this kick starts thier digestive system.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tip, do you mean this snail?

Mystery Snail

I suppose it's readily available in LFS' ?

Cheers

Richard

:( You wouldn't credit, now we have confusion with common names and snail !!!!! Unreal. What we call a Mystery snail here the yanks call an "Apple Snail" There is a topic in the community tank forum that will put you right.

There is a feral population of those "Chinese Livebearing Mystry snails" in Northern NWS, and yes they are sometimes available at your LFS, but I would not recomend them as they can be stinkers to get rid of if they get established in your planted tank. They burrow in the gravel and have live young like those blasted native cone snails.

Alan.

Thanks again Alan, I found the post you referred to.

Cheers

Richard

Archived