Kingsizei behaviour

CichlidChick77

Hi everyone, I have a mbuna community tank and there are 2 kingsizei in there. The male is 7-8cm and coloured up. The other one (I bought as a female) is 6-7cm and plain blue but does get stripes occasionally.

The male has been chasing the female around really fast all over the tank to the point where now, the female sits at the top in the corner to get away from the male.

My question is whether the male is chasing the female as he wants to breed and she doesn't or is the one I think is a female actually a male that isn't coloured up because the other is more dominant and they're fighting.

e3yju3ep.jpgba6y3ave.jpg

The one on the left looks more larger and would be more dominant than the one on the right so the left one would colour up almost all the time. The right one looks like a sub dominant male who is posing as a female so he doesn't get bashed, during which a sub dom will also pretend to breed with the larger male.

This is a common strategy for smaller males of many species.

to vent sex you need to net the fish and turn on it's back so you can see the vents

just in front of the anal fin these are the anus and sex holes

males will have 2 small holes with a space between them

o o

females will have a small and large hole close together

oO

net out both fish and compare them :thumb

I netted them and found out they are a male and female. Here's hoping they start to like each other so they might have some babies. I actually vent sexed the whole tank :)

On another note, I have learnt a bit about vent sexing, which is good to know.

Thank you all for the replies, info and help :D

Archived