Featherfins. What’s around

Ben

Hi Everyone.

My all time favourite cichlid species is Cyathopharynx foai and Cyathopharynx furcifer. I would like to build a gallery here of all the types of featherfins available in Australia. I know we can import any variant we wish but let’s start with what is here now and as new variants come into the country we can build the list.

If you are one of the few who keeps and or breeds these amazing fish, and if you don’t mind sharing, please post some pictures and details here.

Cheers

Cyathopharynx furcifer Karilani Copper

I have kept Coppers since August 2002. I bought 6 fish that were from the original import. Ratio was 2 males and 4 females. I also purchased 15 juveniles at the same time with the intention of growing them up and replacing the adult colony as they got older.

Since then I also purchased another colony, fry from my original imports which the previous owner had breed, ratio of 2 males and 4 females and added them with my what were juveniles now adults.

Currently I have a colony of 10 males and 11 females. That’s way too many males for a colony, so I have all the girls and only two of the boys in a 6x2x2. I am selling the boys if anyone is interested or I will sell a few pair or 1:1 ratio groups.

Here are some pictures of my colony over the last few years.

user posted image

Dominant male from the original imports.

user posted image

One of his son's. Now about 2 years old. Picture taken 24.4.04.

user posted image

Another of the original imported colony's son's.

user posted image

Two males trying to work out who is boss of the tank.

user posted image

Female holding. Picture taken 24.4.04

user posted image

Another female holding. Picture taken 24.4.04

user posted image

Taken from the mother a little early.

Thanks Merjo, There isn't many people I have found keeping these fish which is a real shame.

I don't understand why. Maybe someone can tell me why. Is it the tank size they require? The price of them? They are ugly blink.gif ?

Ben,

Your camera work makes Jacques Cousteaux look like an amateur!!! Great to see a rare species being bred with such aplomb for someone scaling down in the hobby (not)!

I set up a new 5 x 2 x 2 for my Zaire Blues this week. Can they be kept successfully with Coppers??? wink.gif

hi ben, the reason i dont keep these awesome fish is room. i reckon they need at least a 2 foot wide tank and when i end up getting a tank of this size, foai would be on the 'fish to get list'.

cheers

Harry

Hi all,

laugh.gif @ Vince. Yes I am meant to be down scaling but it just isn't working. I went from 2 x 6x2x2's tow 4 x 6x2x2....laugh.gif

Harry, your right. I think a minium of a 5x2x18 for 1 male and 4 female. If you wanted two males you would need the extra foot or you will be forever giving the subdominant some sand to play with. laugh.gif

Cameron. You don't have to go far to get some. Andy has the sumbu and I have the coppers. Take your pick. wink.gif

i have just started out and i am looking to start breeding i have freeshwater and saltaer tanks at home what do u recomend as a setup these fish in the photos in this section are awesom how much do they sell for

Hi guys,

They are a beautiful fish but I have found the variant I have very timid, and the male will not colour up if you have anything else boisterous in the tank.

Also they are best lit from the side, so they look really good when the tank lights are not on and the sunlight is just streaming in from a side window... smile.gif

Heres a few pics of ours: Cyatopharynx foai "Magara Burundi" or just "Magara" .. They are the common "blue-green" variant thats been here for ages.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Darn, if only this was a post for all featherfins. wink.gif

Then I would add some pictures of my nasuta. biggrin.gif

I agree with mtchye that featherfins look a lot better when lit from certain angles. The other thing is to move the light at the top of your tank as far forward as possible to bring out the colours in the fish.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I had 1m and 3f of these in a 6x2x2 community. Did not have much luck and thought I had 4 females for a long time till I removed all competitors (enantiopus) from the tank and cleared some shellies for them.

THey have bred many times, though at the moment I am down to 1 f due to jumping! sad.gif

At the moment they have stopped breeding again, I believe its because of a stray electric yellow male that has started displaying - its funny because this yellow is about 1/3 of the size of the foai - thats how timid they are!

I am surprised that you couldnt find any in Canberra as I believe that one of the members on here is from there and he breeds them?

The tank was originally designed to accomodate many species in their own niches, and I have found its very interesting as the tangs are mostly non predatory towards fry and they all seem to be able to raise at least a few fry by themselves in the tank. I have N brevis, multifasciatus, occelatus, the foai, nigripinnis and some stray malawis that i have to catch out that fell out of their fry saver... I also used to have at various times caudopunctatus, J dickfeldi in there as the cave dwellers, and enantiopus as another sandsifter.

Cheers,

Vincent

God they are good looking fish!

I haven't seen them anywhere in Canberra (not surprised really)

I would keep them if i knew more about them i think... do they need a big tank though?

Canberra is foai central. Send me a Pm for more information.

Darn, if only this was a post for all featherfins. 

Then I would add some pictures of my nasuta. 

I agree with mtchye that featherfins look a lot better when lit from certain angles. The other thing is to move the light at the top of your tank as far forward as possible to bring out the colours in the fish.

Lets make it a featherfin post. Add your pics.

Here are the pictures of my Ophthalmotilapia nasuta "Green Tiger". They are not as fancy as some of the others but I love them anyway. cool.gif

user posted image

user posted image

They haven't bred for me but they seem happy enough just being with their friends and swimming around all day.

They are the happiest when I put frozen brine shrimp into the tank and they spend 15 minutes gathering up all the fine pieces that the others leave behind.

I have tried everything. I haven't found anythnig that they don't like yet. They would have to be classified as the vacuum cleaners of the cichlid world. laugh.gif

I have also noticed that the tetrabits are usually all eaten before they hit the bottom.

One funny thing happened when I first introduced them into my tank. My other fish thought that the egg spots on the pelvic fins were food!!! The poor male nasuta was being thought of as food and all the fish were chasing him around trying to find out what that yellow spot tasted like, luckily it didn't take them long to realise that it wasn't edible. ohmy.gif

Hey All ,

ben I have some C. foai "magara", but at present they are about 7cm, starting to get a bit aggro at each other, over feeding areas. and are starting to show a bit of blue through the scales in the sunlight, fins are getting darker.. I will be getting their parents in a june so will hopefully be able put up pics of them all then. I also have some O. ventralis "samazi" also only about 5-6cm at present.

feeding them , they all get a mixture of osi spirilina , osi cichlid flake, and sera flora,

there are some pics on my web shots page, that include the smaller magara but none specific to them yet

micks Tanganyikans

Archived