Isit possible to create a sump filter without a weir?

rennie_08

Hi all i am currently trying to work out the best filtration set up i can for my 4x2x2 cichlid tank. I had 4 holes drilled in the tank to hook up 2 eheim 2217's buteveryone i speak to says to just get a sump... Can this be done without having 2 weirs? As I said there are holes drilled but no glass aroundthe holes to create the weir and unfourtuneatly where the hles havebeen drilled its impossible to get the glass around to make a weir...

Any help or ideas and suggestions is appreciated

Regards

Chris

I would stick with the eheims. I filter my tanks with cannisters and have no issues.

If you want more filtration just replace one of the 2217's with a 2080.

Cheers

Nick

Yes, it all depends where the holes have been drilled in the tank. If they are up the top, there is no problem, just put some bulkheads in there. But if they are at the bottom you would need to make a weir around it. There are many advantages to having a sump, if you already have the holes drilled you might aswell go with a sump.

X2.since u got the holes id sump it.i find maintanance so much easier on my rack setup with sump than my display tanks with cans.

What size holes?

I used black bulkheads from bunnings(rainwater tank section) then online found some nice screw in stainers.

Sumps make tanks look neater aswell.chuck all ur gear in the bottom.

Just make sure ur sumps big enough to deal with evap and backflow.

I wouldnt reccomend check valves either.ive had them gunk up and fail before better to design the sump to b able to handle it.

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for all the feed back.. There are 2 holes on the back pane of glass at the top and 2 holes on the bottom pane of glass at the back, I have photos i am trying to put up but i am having issues!!

Thank you so much again looking forward to your replies

Regards

Chris

The holes that have been drilled are different to mine, but I will have a punt on the best way to do a sump with that configuration.

Since the hole diameter is drilled a bit smaller than usual, you may need to use all 4 holes for the pipes leading to the sump.

Perhaps you can go to a glass shop and get 4 pieces of glass then silicon the glass pieces in place to make 2 weirs. Each weir would finish up just below each hole at the top of the back of the tank (at the exact point where it overflows). So there would be 2 bulkheads up the top and 2 weirs, allowing the water to flow out all 4 holes back into the sump. Then one return pipe from the sump which would be hooked over the lip of the tank in the middle.

I could be wrong about this though, so interested in other's opinions.

I've had a rethink about this and for the solution above to work, 2 of the glass pieces would need to be notched (semi circle at the top, to allow the top bulkheads to be in the same line as the weir overflow. May be 2 complicated, just concerned you would be getting enough flow. The easy option is just to make 2 weirs and only use the bottom 2 and use the other 2 for returns (or block the top 2 and have a return lipped over the middle.

I am building a new set up and I am looking at using a sump. I am thinking 3 holes in the base of the tank. 2 will be for the exit water and one for the return. I was just going to use bulk heads (I think they are called) so 2 tubes that will rise up from the base and finish above water level. Then at a level below the water line put some slots to allow the water to enter run down the pipe and into the sump . This way if the pump ever fails the tank can only drain to the level of the water exit slots I have in the pipes. The pipes will be able to breath as the top will be out of the water.

This will also allow me to put the tank hard up agains the wall.

I hope this makes sense.

Would love everyone's opinion on this?

Might be better to have 2 large holes towards the top at the back of the tank, where the water line is, rather than have 2 pipes sticking up in the middle of the tank. Holes on the bottom would be beneficial only for a setup with wiers. There are pros and cons, if you want to construct a weir it will be quieter, but take up a bit more room in the tank than the holes at the back. I have 2 large holes drilled at the back of mine with bulkheads, it works well but a bit noisier.

I have just a single 30mm hole drilled into the side of my 6x2x2 with a bulk head and it's gravity feed to a 4 ft sump, works fine and is pretty silent.

I'll post up a couple of pics for you.

Although you have a hole drilled into the bottom, bit of an issue unless you have a weir set up.

Hi Guys,

Thankyou everyone so much for all your help! I have came to the conclusion that I am going to stick with the original plan and go with the double 2217's on the tank.. I have plenty of mates using them on their tanks without any troubles and still going strong.

Thank you all once again, you were all such a bug help!

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

100% sump it so much easier to maintain then canister I have single 20mm outlet and a single 20mm return line on my tank and I run a 3000l/h epheim pump and I have no problems with flow I actually have to valve the suction side to slow the flow a little

Archived